Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #1 
davhsv

Replacing Puff Puff (yes its long)

Well my grandma gave me some money to get my daughter a new fish after the demise of poor Puff Puff (see topic "to get a betta or not "). I bought some test strips for the water and let her pick out her new betta at petsmart. I also bought a thermometer. I know the pickings are slim at petsmart but that is my only option due to the fact that I just can't bring myself to pay 50 dollars for a mail order betta. I made a gravel vacuum out of a perfume funnel and some extra tubing to suck up waste on gravel, it is a good size since it takes the water down slow enough to where I can really go over and through the gravel well and still have some water left (this is good for cycling right?) I tested the water before I did anything and surprisingly enough it came back pretty good; a little high on alkaline but other than that it was good and at 78 degrees without a heater even (I keep my house hot due to my hedgehog). So I fill tank back up with tap heated water and throw in a "betta buddy" tablet to condition the water. Test water again after letting the air hose run for 20 min and everything is good just low on nitrite. Get "Snowball" a blue with hints of marron veiltail male used to water by dumping small increments into his tiny cup over time and release him into his new home. I never knew fish could show moods so easily. He perked right up it was like he even got prettier as he swam around. He even ate the sample pellets hikari bio gold SP? when my daughter fed him an hour after he was in his tank. He ignored the crap that the petsmart idiot sold me (some sort of flake) which was scooped out. He is beat up, no tears in fins but they should be longer but he is still beautiful and very funny. My daughter loves him and thank you so much gang for all the support and help ya'll have given and any more advice is as always greatly appreciated :D
davhsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #2 
iamntbatman

Congratulations on the new fish!

Since the tank has yet to cycle, keep an eye on your water conditions. By "eye" I really mean keep doing water tests daily and perform 50% water changes every time either the ammonia or nitrite gets above 0.5 ppm. The test strips can give you ballpark estimates but really are far less accurate than a liquid test kit.

Here's some general betta care info, in case you haven't seen this sticky yet:
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17558
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #3 
davhsv

Cool didn't know that about the strips thanks. I will go buy a liquid test kit strips just seemed easier and my daughter could do them as well (she's almost four). I have been checking water daily (it's only been two lol)and planed on doing bi weekly changes. I will buy a heater before the cold weather hits due to the fact that there is more of a risk of fluctuating temps then. All seems well. He is a funny little bugger and seems to enjoy having room to swim about and is a healthy eater (we feed him three pellets twice a day) Should we feed hm more? It seems like hes begging. He stares at me and then swims up to place where we feed him looks then returns to staring position.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #4 
Flashygrrl

They do tend to beg quite well. 3 pellets twice a day is perfect for him and he must be comfy in his new home due to the fact he's eating already. Most don't when they first come home.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #5 
willow

fantastic news,glad that things have worked out for you. :)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Glad to hear about your new betta. :) I know your daughter will enjoy her new friend.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #7 
zerlinafish

That is so great! You and your daughter will have a great time with Snowball! Glad to hear that he is happy and eating too! Mine hated the flakes, but LOOOOVES his pellets and bloodworms (as a treat). Congrats!
zerlinafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #8 
onefish2fish

seems like your doing a great job with learning how to cycle and take care of your new fish

but if you dont mind could you post some pictures of that hedgehog? lol id like to see sonic.. maybe put it in the "other pets" section.. if its too much of a hassle, dont worry about it
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #9 
davhsv

I have put a pic of my hedgehog on the picture section in the "other" tab he is listed under hedgehog