Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #1 
New Fish Owner

Dirty Bowl?

I am wondering what is going on with my fish.

I got my first betta fish two weeks ago. I kept him in a 1 gallon plastic bowl and cleaned it every three days. The water was always clear, even whenever it came to the 3 day mark. I always cleaned it after 3 days, but the bowl really didn't need cleaned. He unfortunately passed away. He was not very healthy whenever I bought him.

So 2 days ago I got a second betta fish, and he is a completely different story. After a few hours the water starts to look cloudly. The only difference between him and my first betta is that he is in a glass 1 gallon bowl, and he has a heater. The water stays at about 78 degrees.

I'm new to owning fish , so I could use some help. Why does the water get dirty so quickly? It didn't with my first fish! What could be causing this? My new fish seems to be very happy and healthy.

I can't afford a filter at the moment, nor would one fit in his bowl since I have the heater in there. I know that betta fish do much better in a larger tank, but I'm doing the best that I can. Any clue as to why the bowl gets dirty so quickly?
New Fish Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #2 
callistra

Is everything exactly the same or do you have new gravel, ornaments etc?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #3 
New Fish Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Is everything exactly the same or do you have new gravel, ornaments etc?
I have a new plastic plant, different gravel (it's stone-like), and the heater.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #4 
Kithy

Did you rinse the gravel really, really well until the water was not cloudy? Gravel is usually the cause of cloudiness after being added recently. You don't need gravel in your tank either, it's more of a aesthetic thing for the owner than beneficial for the fish so if you feel you don't want it no worries. It can make cleanings a bit more annoying sometimes.

On another note, be sure to check that plastic plant out well. Sharp edges can tear a bettas fin. A good way to test out new ornaments is rub some plantyhose over them and if it snags, remove it or file it down.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #5 
New Fish Owner

I think I posted a photo of his bowl. Sorry if I did it wrong, I'm new to this site.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #6 
Kithy

How long ago did you put the rocks in there? Did you get them and the plants a good rinse?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #7 
New Fish Owner

I rinsed everything really well before I put him in the bowl. The next day the water was cloudly, so I changed it and rinsed everything again. Today the water was cloudly, so everything was cleaned again! That was a few hours ago and I'm alreadly noticing the cloudlyness beginning to start.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #8 
JayPe3

Are you putting a water conditioner in the bowl?
JayPe3 is offline   Reply With Quote