Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #1 
DizzyD

Corys are going crazy

I bought 2 albino corys to go into my 5 gallon tank with my Halfmoon. They have not stopped moving since I put them in there. They are constantly jetting back and forth and up and down. The only time they seem to calm down is when I crumble up some flake food and put it in the tank, Then they sift around the sand until its mostly gone and go back to jetting around.

At first I thought it might be the water conditions but other than a little hard, I believe its in their preferred parameters. My next guess would be they just need more space. I'm getting a 35 gallon in a few weeks and will probably be moving them to that once its cycled.

Is there any other reason why they would be going so balistic. I wouldn't worry to much if it didn't seem to be bothering my betta. He acts afraid of the corys. I've been considering moving him to a 1 gallon until I can get the corys a new home.
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #2 
Crowntails

Cories in general are very active, especially albinos. I have 2 Peppered Cories in my 5.5 gallon tank because they are getting quarantined, but I wouldn't say they're crazy. Your's are probably just a little stressed and trying to get a grasp on their new surroundings.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #3 
DizzyD

Yeah, my dad has about 10 in his 90 gallon, and I know they are very active fish. Thats actually why I like them so much. They were just concerning me because my Dads typically stay to the bottom. These are going everywhere. I'm just a little concerned about Sir Reginald, My half moon.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #4 
Crowntails

They are going everywhere because they are cramped in such a small tank. 20 gallon long minimum is recommend for Albinos.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #5 
DizzyD

Yeah, That was my concern. Hopefully they will like the new 35 Hex...
Old 02-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #6 
Crowntails

They will! Once you get the 35 up and running, I'd add 6 more cories to your bunch. They like to be in groups 6+
Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #7 
sarahspins

My dwarf cories never stop moving unless they're sleeping.. during the day they are always on the go :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #8 
Xaltd1

I lost all 6 of my albino corys when I started introducing female bettas into the 29-gal cycled tank. I used the corys as fish-in cyclers, and they were normal, active fish. After about 6 girls, they went ballistic! They swam randomly, frantically, up and down rather than across the bottom as they usually do. Then, over the course of 3 days, each day, 2 died suddenly- like a heart attack!

I want more corys. I tore down that tank 100% after I lost a betta; then all the snails died. EVERYTHING got tossed (except fish) & I have built it back up. It sits here now; lit, cycled, heated, filtered with only plants and cherry shrimp. I'm terrified to stock it again. The remaining girls are in my 10-gal "hospital tank", and have been for 5 weeks.

Last edited by Xaltd1; 02-21-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

i have 5 smallllllll albinos... the craziness is normal healthy behaviour :)
note: their stay is temporary ^___^ (and water tested :p)

swimming
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps382d7aea.mp4

feeding
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps66835383.mp4
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #10 
DizzyD

They seem to have calmed down a little. Still very active though. I think Sir Reginald has gotten used to them too. He seems happier. Can't wait to get my 35.