Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #11 
shellieca

I did the temp shock method. I put a cup of water in the freezer until it was slushy, nearly frozen then put my Betta into it, she was gone very quickly. You have to weigh what's best for the fish & what's available to you at the time. I would do this method again if I was faced with having to euthanize again. I was admonished by those who disagree with that method but that's the way it goes.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #12 
Nicci Lu

Where do you purchase clove oil? It's upsetting just thinking about it, but it seems to be something that should be kept on hand just in case.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #13 
osromatra

I found my clove oil at my local mom-pop pharmacy. It was nearly teeth-gum care stuff.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #14 
Dragonlady

I find clove oil at my local grocery store in the organic isle right beside the GMO dogs.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #15 
Nicci Lu

Thanks, I'll check both places.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #16 
callistra

Honestly, it isn't something I keep on hand.. I'm not going to argue against euthanasia, but I don't think it's something that should be jumped into. I'm hoping this information won't make people more likely to euthanize, because a lot of people who post here are not very well informed on betta illness and care. Most cases of seriously ill bettas results for owner neglect anyway. Not always, but I read every thread on this forum and so I KNOW almost every one is a case where the owner was not taking care of the fish the way they should. I don't want someone to read this and decide they need to go get clove oil, without being fully informed and/or without trying to correct their keeping habits first and at least give the fish a chance.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote