Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #1 
MiyuMikaelson

Water Conditioner?

I currently have API Tap Water Conditioner. "Super strength"... I have also gotten API Stress Coat+ Water Conditioner. Will that help him de-stress when he gets introduced to the tank?

It's directional use says: "Use when setting up an aquarium, and when adding or changing water."

When/how often do you all use water conditioner? What would you suggest for a Cycling 5 gallon heated/filtered tank?

I'm sorry for all the inquisitions.
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #2 
MiyuMikaelson

Also; opinions on dissolving Aquarium Salt into the tank just before introducing the Betta?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #3 
Hadoken Kitty

I don't usually use stress coat unless I'm introducing a fish to a new tank or introducing a fish to my water (water differs from place to place). Once they're used to their tank water, then I usually just use regular conditioner. I have to use prime since my tap water has ammonia in it, but most people's do not contain ammonia. Also, it is always suggested to dissolve the salt before adding the fish, or pre-dissolve it in another container and then add to the water.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Also, you use conditioner with every water change, and the amount you put in would be to the size of the bowl you have, depending on the directions on the bottle. I'm not sure if I explained that well. Sorry.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #5 
MiyuMikaelson

I've heard of people adding conditioner every 2 days or so, which is initially why I had asked. They hadn't specified if it was during water changes or anything.

The Stress Coat was fairly specifically for introducing him to the tank. And I wasn't sure if Aquarium Salt would do much of anything; possibly prevent any issues? I don't know.
^^;
Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

If you use prime, then you have to re-add every two days to keep the ammonia in check. Though you only use two drops for every gallon when you use prime. So, it isn't much of a hassle.

You can use AQ salt if you want, but I wouldn't unless there is some external issue like fin rot or biting going on. Most people don't use it for more than a week, and there are daily water changes when treating these.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #7 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
If you use prime, then you have to re-add every two days to keep the ammonia in check. Though you only use two drops for every gallon when you use prime. So, it isn't much of a hassle.

You can use AQ salt if you want, but I wouldn't unless there is some external issue like fin rot or biting going on. Most people don't use it for more than a week, and there are daily water changes when treating these.
I don't use prime, this one actually only has you use 1 drop of conditioner per gallon.
^^

Ah, understood. Will not use AQ salt unless necessary then.
:)
Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

Is it just API's Stress Coat +? Like this one?

If so, there should be a ml measuring system on the cap. The 1 ml is for 2 gallons, as the 5 ml is for 10 gallons (and so on). If not, then I'm not sure which API stress coat would ask for you to do one drop per gallon.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #9 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Is it just API's Stress Coat +? Like this one?

If so, there should be a ml measuring system on the cap. The 1 ml is for 2 gallons, as the 5 ml is for 10 gallons (and so on). If not, then I'm not sure which API stress coat would ask for you to do one drop per gallon.
Oh, that's my bad for not clarifying. That's the right stress coat that I have. But I meant my regular Tap Water Conditioner.
^^;

This is my one drop per gallon one. Mine has a slightly different cap though.
C':
Old 02-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

Huh, well, if it's one drop per gallon then it's definitely condensed. I would just do it with water changes. If you test your water (which I suggest getting a water test kit), and levels sky-rocket for no reason, then I would do it every two days like prime. Though I would just do it with water changes until you see otherwise. Don't confuse that with your tank's cycling. I forgot to give you the links to those stickies.

Beginner's guide: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

If you decide to; Nitrogen cycling guide: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

OldFishLady (OFL) water change recommendations: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758