Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #8441 
liz26914

ta da! my tank.
does it look too crowded?
Attached Images

liz26914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #8442 
royal

No, I really like it infact! Where did you find that jug?
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #8443 
Hadoken Kitty

Nooo it looks awesome!!! As long as they have plenty of holes to swim in and out from, I don't think there's such thing as "too crowded". :P
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #8444 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Thanks! I'll be having my sorority in there. Does it look full enough?
I think it looks nicely decorated. I've seen sorority tanks that were more bare. The trick to a sorority tank is to break up the line of sight. You shouldn't be able to see from one end of the tank to another. The most important thing for a sorority IMO is many medium-tall plants. There should not be caves with few openings so that girls being chased can't be trapped.

The other trick to sorority tanks is making sure the tank can handle the bio load. An established cycle or many fast growing live plants will do, or both. The girls should have some open areas for swimming and also a lot of hiding places, especially near the top of the tank.

When you add all the girls at once, you should test daily to make sure the tank is properly handling the bio-load. Parameters need to be no less than perfect. Often, having other fish in the same tank can cause a little bit of stress and the presence of ammonia or nitrites can easily cause sickness. The heavy decor should help with the stress and QTing and introducing the girls at the same time is very important.

Also, rearranging decor and cupping the girls any time a new one is added or re-added is important. Otherwise, the girls will need time after being introduced to establish a pecking order. Nipped fins sometimes occur, which also increases the need for prestine parameters.

I think live plants are super great for a sorority. Also, additives like IAL or VitaChem that boost the immune system can't hurt. Anything to make sure the girls are healthy... One sick girl can devastate the whole tank...

I don't have a sorority yet, but I have no doubt they are very fun and rewarding if they are properly done from the start.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #8445 
MistersMom

AyalaCookiejar, how are you not a mod yet??
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #8446 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
AyalaCookiejar, how are you not a mod yet??
Lol, what do you mean? I only joined about three months ago. I just enjoy learning here and sharing what I have learned :p I'm not an expert, though.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #8447 
MistersMom

Close enough! lol. You've obviously been reading each post very carefully and writing it down on your brainards. lol
Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #8448 
liz26914

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal View Post
No, I really like it infact! Where did you find that jug?
Petco
liz26914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #8449 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
Close enough! lol. You've obviously been reading each post very carefully and writing it down on your brainards. lol
I'm writing the word brainards on my brainards as we speak, lol. I'm gifted with being able to pick up information quickly and easily. It also just so happens that I like fish, and reading and replying to posts makes all that information stick even easier.

Plus, in many cases, people who have sick fish need quick replies so I try to learn about illnesses and such so I can have it for future reference and help those who need it quickly. I just know about sororities because I am setting one up... Lol.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #8450 
MistersMom

like that word 'brainards' ? lol i made that up on spot... but you really are quite smart.

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank