Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #1 
Doroteo

Very Agressive Fish?

I just recently got a male betta fish a few days ago. When I first brought him home he was very docile, enough that I could stick my whole hand into his bowl and he wouldn't even pay attention to me.

Now that a few days have gone by, he is starting to be super aggressive! I know he is a Siamese Fighting fish, duh he is aggressive. However, I am starting to feel worried about feeding him because anytime I come near his bowl, he just absolutely flips out. He flares at me, and he just attacks his bowl, like he is trying to attack me.

I am worried because when I remove the lid (with lots of air holes) from his bowl to feed him, he starts jumping and lunging. I am afraid that when I feed him, he will just jump right out of the bowl!

I've done my best to care for him, I feed him small portions about 2x a day. I've also noticed that he's made lots of bubblenests-- I read online that this is a good indicator of him being healthy.

Anyway, any advice on preventing my betta from jumping out of his bowl when I feed him? Is he ever going to calm down? I feel like he hates me!
Doroteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

He might be seeing his reflection in the glass and that could cause him to flare like he does. When you feed him, just make sure you drop it in quickly and close the lid.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #3 
nav2008

what size is the bowl? and i have one that i just drilled the holes big enough that i could push the pellets through. one was really agressive and i put black paper or computer paper along 2 sides of his tank.... good luck
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #4 
Doroteo

Thanks everyone. It's a 1/2 gallon bowl, I think we are planning on getting something bigger, maybe a 2 gallon.

I just feel bad because I think he is very stressed. Maybe he needs some time to adjust to his new environment?
Doroteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:26 AM   #5 
Flashygrrl

Some bettas are just more aggressive than others.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 AM   #6 
nbahoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashygrrl
Some bettas are just more aggressive than others.
yeah that could happen. every fish is differrent
nbahoops is offline   Reply With Quote