Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #11 
RubyFalls

My one worry is it got mad. Like attacking the sides of the container when we tried to cover it to make it warm.

He didn't puff up in the face but his fins flared a bit. I don't know if that means anything but he has seemed angry. I don't think I'm doing anything to anger it......I'm not moving it around or messing with it.
To warm it a bit I'm just setting near a halogen light. Not directly underneath it just kind of near it.

Edit: He is going towards where the lamp is. Like up against the tank where that light is.

Last edited by RubyFalls; 02-24-2013 at 04:07 AM.
RubyFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Sometimes bettas can get a bit more aggressive if they are stressed or overstimulated. I moved one of my males into a new tank and he spent about a day or so flaring at me, the cats, and anything really that moved around outside his tank.

I am assuming you are going to be purchasing a heater as soon as you get him into the bigger tank tomorrow? You really need to maintain a consistent and correct temperature, and as you can probably see just having a light doesn't really do much.

I would probably just wrap him up in the towel and let him settle down and settle in. I wouldn't expect him to die at your house in between now and getting the new tank, as bettas in stores survive in some pretty squalid conditions.

He is probably just stressed out and feeling vulnerable, hence the slight aggression you are seeing.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #13 
RubyFalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Sometimes bettas can get a bit more aggressive if they are stressed or overstimulated. I moved one of my males into a new tank and he spent about a day or so flaring at me, the cats, and anything really that moved around outside his tank.

I am assuming you are going to be purchasing a heater as soon as you get him into the bigger tank tomorrow? You really need to maintain a consistent and correct temperature, and as you can probably see just having a light doesn't really do much.

I would probably just wrap him up in the towel and let him settle down and settle in. I wouldn't expect him to die at your house in between now and getting the new tank, as bettas in stores survive in some pretty squalid conditions.

He is probably just stressed out and feeling vulnerable, hence the slight aggression you are seeing.
Thanks for calming my nerves. He didn't even act that way in the long car ride back to my place.

Should I wrap him in like a bath towel or hand towel?

And I'm not sure on the heater it actually might be a bit. I have to look up prices. I was a little mislead in how much I needed for him and I don't have a ton of money for the next month or so. I'm going to try to set aside enough money to get one or see if I can get some help somewhere.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

Whatever towel you have on hand should be fine.

Perhaps see if anyone on the forum has a heater cheap/free that you could use. People who own a lot of fish tend to accumulate a lot of stuff. I sold a whole garbage bag full of aquarium heaters to someone once.

Otherwise maybe check on the local classifieds or Craiglist. Sometimes you can pick up whole tank set-ups (heater included) for the price of a brand new heater as second hand tanks (at least here) are not really a hot commodity.

I wish a lot more places were upfront with what a betta actually needs. While they are one of the lower maintenance fish available, they are not 'no maintenance' fish. Something like a heater should be one of the first things someone brings up when discussing bettas. As they are really no different in their needs from any of the other tropical fish sold in the trade.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #15 
RubyFalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Whatever towel you have on hand should be fine.

Perhaps see if anyone on the forum has a heater cheap/free that you could use. People who own a lot of fish tend to accumulate a lot of stuff. I sold a whole garbage bag full of aquarium heaters to someone once.

Otherwise maybe check on the local classifieds or Craiglist. Sometimes you can pick up whole tank set-ups (heater included) for the price of a brand new heater as second hand tanks (at least here) are not really a hot commodity.

I wish a lot more places were upfront with what a betta actually needs. While they are one of the lower maintenance fish available, they are not 'no maintenance' fish. Something like a heater should be one of the first things someone brings up when discussing bettas. As they are really no different in their needs from any of the other tropical fish sold in the trade.
I'm a little worried about wrapping the towel just because he slammed against the sides when the tank was covered by hand with no movement. I dont know if its a sensory thing or what. Is that normal?

I'm going to do all that I can to get that heater. I'm actually pretty mad that Petco told me just to put it in this tank, feed it 3 times a week, ad change water once a week. This was really exciting for me. First pet on my own and I wasn't even intending on buying on straight off just wanted to know cost. But for some reason I just have to have West. Like that was it, he was the one.
It's why I want to keep him happy and comfortable.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #16 
RubyFalls

His fake plant came out from the gravel.....I don't want to fix it. I just tried to take it out of the cage and he flared. I know he can't really hurt me, but I'm scared of putting my hand in there to fix the plant and freaking him out.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #17 
Fishy Mom

Did you check with your friend that is giving you the tank if they have a heater with it? You may get lucky & find out there is a heater too.

Don't freak out too much. I know people on here don't agree with me, but I always recommend a gallon bowl/tank with one of those small preset heaters (i don't know the brand, but it's a small square heater that i found at petsmart that keeps one gallon of water at exactly the right temp) for first time fish owners. Total cost is under $20 for that & it helps train you & the fish for feedings & water changes. I've found that it's easier for people new to bettas to cup, change water, set a feeding schedule, observe pooping, observe behavior, & get to know their betta in a smaller space without a bunch of hiding spots. I've always kept new bettas in heated 1 gallons when I first bring them home before upgrading them so they can get comfortable with me.

You're doing fine. Hang in there!
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #18 
RubyFalls

Ok West seems a lot happier today.

I'm not sure on the heater. She thinks it might have one, but I'm going to pick it up soon and see.

Tags
betta care, new owner, questions