Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #1 
Shidohari

My fish has a tumor

My betta has a tumor under the skin around his gill area but he is still swimming just fine and eating. Should i be concerned and how would he get it in the first place? He's the only one in a 2 gallon tank.
Shidohari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #2 
Mirta

I used to have a gourami with the same problem. He managed to live with this tumor for a year or so. In summer, when we were all away from home, he disappeared. Then, in about 6-8 months one of my blue neons got something similar but it was not near a gill. I tried to treat the poor guy (I put him into a quarantine tank) but it was too much for him, although I followed the instruction closely.

I have found out that if the tumor is close to the gill or anywhere near the neck it could be due to the lack of iodine, just like in people. Then it could probably be treated, but professional advice is needed. I will try to look for the site which does that.
Mirta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #3 
Shidohari

fish has a tumor

now i do have a question do you think it is a tumor or do you think he may be bloated. he looks like someone put a small round marble or such under his skin and it's a even roundness on both sides of that area. I read in another topic of the forum about bloating but i don't know what that looks like in bettas.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #4 
Mirta

maybe, you could get a picture?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #5 
Shidohari

The only picture i have is on my phone and i can't send it to my email i don't think. but i'm sure it looks like he has a round marble inside his body.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #6 
Mirta

If it is large it may be also like bloating, or even obesity? I am not sure, really...