Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #1 
S2kelley

HELP: new betta owner, he keeps floating to the top of the tank!

Hey everyone!

I'm hoping you all can help... I'm a new betta owner of "Flow" is his name. He's been a gorgeous happy fish until the past couple days. He seems like he is struggling to stay at the bottom of the tank. He looks like he's struggling hard to not just float to the very top. Is something wrong with him? What can I do to help him?

Background info: we have a 50 gallon tank fresh water. Newly setup in the last 4 months. Only other fish are guppys. Fresh water, with a filter and heater. Just been feeding standard fish flakes recommended by local fish store and algae tablet once every 3 days for the one sucker fish.

I know I'm very naive about all this but that is why I'm here. Pls help Flow and me!
S2kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Sounds like he's got Swim bladder disorder.
I would fast him for a few days to see if that helps, if not then add some epsoms
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #3 
aquaticlifelover

its sounds like something along the lines of swim bladder disease, which is treatable. most betta fish like betta pellets better as opposed to flakes so that could be it. just feed flow 2 pellets a day. but first, i would fast him for three days and if nothing gets better by then, give him a deshelled pea broken into tiny pieces. this will help clean out his system. if all goes well and he goes back to normal start him on 2 pellets a day, and fast him one day of the week! also it couldnt hurt to put him in a QT tank as well, so he wouldn't be stressed about all of his buddies in the tank with him. good luck!! :)
aquaticlifelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #4 
S2kelley

How can I fast him without fasting the other fish? Should I put flow in a separate tank? Thank you so much for the help!
S2kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #5 
aquaticlifelover

yeah! put him in a QT (quarantine) tank... like a couple gallons or so.
aquaticlifelover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floating at the top, new betta, struggling to swim