Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 
Kytkattin

Talking Frogbit and Large Leaf Duckweed FS

I am selling frogbit, $1 per head. These will be the medium ones pictured, not the giant ones, or 3-4 small ones will sub for one medium one. They will probably come with a little bit of regular duckweed stuck to them, and may also contain various other life forms including but not limited to Malaysian trumpet snails, pond snails, water fleas, etc. I have found that the regular duckweed does not grow very well when frogbit is present, but your results may vary. These come from completely still water with very high intensity lights, your results in growing them in a tank with a filter and different lights may vary. I have about 10 heads. The roots, which are typically about 1ft long right now, may melt, but with proper lighting should grow back fairly quickly, though maybe not to that ridiculous length.

I am also selling large leaf duckweed. I don't grow this with the frogbit, so I don't know if it would grow very well with it. The large leaf duckweed is about 10-20 times bigger than the regular duckweed. This does not grow at all in my tank with a filter, and typically dies off in that tank after about a week. It comes from a tank that has a fairly large population of ramshorn snails and medium lights. Your results may vary. Price is $1 per teaspoon with a limit of 5 teaspoons.

The large leaf duckweed is pictured here with a baby betta from Petco, so no, it isn't THAT huge. lol.

Shipping is $6.50 for Priority within the continental US only. It is being shipped from CA, where the weather is always nice. Use your best judgement when your ask me to ship, as I don't really understand "freezing" or "snow". Live arrival not guaranteed. Trades for plant species I don't have are something I will consider.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #2 
Mo

I would get that but unfortunately water lettuce isn't allowed in our state :( it looks like a great plant though. If I may ask. Where did you get it? From a pond or river? I don't think they re allowed to be sold in your state either
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

I got it from a pet store. They had gallons upon gallons of it. I also got purple cabomba from a Petco, which I know isn't allowed to be sold or traded, but people are allowed to have their own personal plants or something like that.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Giant duckweed is a federal noxious weed. which means (reading the legal stuff made my head spin... so I'll save you the headache and simplify)
....federal noxious weeds cannot be transported in anyway... unless you have a permit to move the plant. it cannot be sold, pr given away... no federal noxious weeds obtained illegally (ie. without a permit)can be give to anyone else....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

I guess this thread should just be closed then since both of these plants seem to be on one list or another. Shame, cause I bought the giant duckweed from someone on here too. Guess I'll just toss out my extras.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I guess this thread should just be closed then since both of these plants seem to be on one list or another. Shame, cause I bought the giant duckweed from someone on here too. Guess I'll just toss out my extras.
or maybe you should marke it as mini frogbit XD. I honestly wont mind some of that lettuce :< you should sell it as... water cabbage >.>

dont feel too bad... I had to take down a few plants before too...

blame the idiots who chucked these in the waterways :/
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

I will probably continue to give it to people I know who are starting tanks, but probably best not to sell it. I also have cabomba, which I have heard is not something that should be sold.

To be honest, until a few days ago I thought I had frogbit, not water lettuce. I just didn't even know.

Now I would love to get ahold of some actual frogbit, though I also am wondering if there are any floating plants that are actually legal in CA.