Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #641 
AyalaCookiejar

You need at least 4 to add at the same time initially. More is better, it will spread out aggression.

You need to QT to prevent disease. It's not uncommon for pet store bought fish to be sick from the store and die shortly after. You need to QT for at least two weeks to be sure all girls are healthy. If you introduce all the girls and one is sick, it will get them all sick. Not QTing often causes the whole tank to get sick and die off. You can QT them by floating cups for heat. Some people go to their local delis and get empty 32 ounce (1/4 gallon) cups to float in the tank for QT. That means you will have to do water changes daily in the QT containers. I actually went out to Walmart and bought one gallon canisters. They have lids that you need to put holes in, but they are tall and narrower so I can actually fit six of them in my ten gallon tank. They are about $3 each, though, but QTing is EXTREMELY important to prevent disease! Sororities are delicate and the girls can get sick easily if the tank isn't set up properly and the girls are not QTed and introduced properly. Some people have gotten away without QTing but I DO NOT recommend trying it...

As long as they have been QTed to ensure health, its still important to introduce them at the same time and re-cup them and rearrange decor when new girls are added. You could add like 15 girls to a 29 gallon with no other fish if you wanted... But you need to be sure the tank can handle the bio-load.

I know you are planning on going to the pet store, but I do recommend that you at least consider buying online from a private breeder. Some will give you 6 girls (all siblings, even) for only $30, shipping included. Private breeders generally have healthier, more socialized and younger girls. Usually, if you get all siblings that have never been separated from birth, they don't fight as much because they are already well-socialized and used to each other. The younger, the better. Most pet stores don't sell them very young and they often mis-label the females.

Also, about adding a male... I think its too risky. Have you had male bettas or females before? I can honestly say that females are SO fun and their personalities are amazing. They are often spunkier because their short fins make it easier for them to swim and most of them learn to jump at feeding time, it is very fun and rewarding and also amazing to see how high females can jump! My males have jumped but my females have wings or something, lol.

I'm officially hooked on females. Looks don't beat personality...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #642 
Hyper27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
You need at least 4 to add at the same time initially. More is better, it will spread out aggression.

You need to QT to prevent disease. It's not uncommon for pet store bought fish to be sick from the store and die shortly after. You need to QT for at least two weeks to be sure all girls are healthy. If you introduce all the girls and one is sick, it will get them all sick. Not QTing often causes the whole tank to get sick and die off. You can QT them by floating cups for heat. Some people go to their local delis and get empty 32 ounce (1/4 gallon) cups to float in the tank for QT. That means you will have to do water changes daily in the QT containers. I actually went out to Walmart and bought one gallon canisters. They have lids that you need to put holes in, but they are tall and narrower so I can actually fit six of them in my ten gallon tank. They are about $3 each, though, but QTing is EXTREMELY important to prevent disease! Sororities are delicate and the girls can get sick easily if the tank isn't set up properly and the girls are not QTed and introduced properly. Some people have gotten away without QTing but I DO NOT recommend trying it...

As long as they have been QTed to ensure health, its still important to introduce them at the same time and re-cup them and rearrange decor when new girls are added. You could add like 15 girls to a 29 gallon with no other fish if you wanted... But you need to be sure the tank can handle the bio-load.

I know you are planning on going to the pet store, but I do recommend that you at least consider buying online from a private breeder. Some will give you 6 girls (all siblings, even) for only $30, shipping included. Private breeders generally have healthier, more socialized and younger girls. Usually, if you get all siblings that have never been separated from birth, they don't fight as much because they are already well-socialized and used to each other. The younger, the better. Most pet stores don't sell them very young and they often mis-label the females.

Also, about adding a male... I think its too risky. Have you had male bettas or females before? I can honestly say that females are SO fun and their personalities are amazing. They are often spunkier because their short fins make it easier for them to swim and most of them learn to jump at feeding time, it is very fun and rewarding and also amazing to see how high females can jump! My males have jumped but my females have wings or something, lol.

I'm officially hooked on females. Looks don't beat personality...
Thanks for this response! I have a few more questions though...

1)How exactly do you float the cups and what do you have to do? Do they really keep the disease/sickness from spreading? Is it better to have a reserve tank?

2)Do you know any possible sites that are reliable and have good bettas with a good range of colors for a cheap price?

Thanks again!
Hyper27
Hyper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #643 
AyalaCookiejar

1) I personally have made a shelf inside my ten gallon tank for my QT tanks. I put coffee cups on the bottom, set plastic mesh on top and put the QT tanks on that. The weight of the water keeps the tanks from tipping. You can also clip the QT cups to the tank side so they don't tip over, but you need lids with small holes in them so they can breathe but they can't jump out. Don't share equipment between the QT cups when quarantining, and make sure the water from the cups don't contaminate other cups, etc... And just watch each girl to make sure they all are healthy looking and active. I use clear cups so they can see each other and get used to each other, but I place plants between the cups so they are not fully exposed... Does that make sense?

2) check the classified section on this forum. I've purchased all my fish from members here. You need a PayPal account. You can search through the classifieds or post asking for females. You can likely get siblings for a cheaper bulk price. I am getting my girls from Chard56 (I know he has an abundance of dragon girls for sale right now)... Siblings are more socialized with each other already as most private breeders keep all their girls in one big sorority tank. QTing is still needed because sometimes shipping may make them sick, but generally, shipping is very safe. QTing is just a precaution... Some people only QT for a week. Most recommend two. If you want to be very cautious, you should QT at least two weeks if not more.

Edit: also, what do you mean by a reserve tank? I personally have a back up four gallon tank in case one of my girls doesn't work out and its probably a good idea, but your chances of getting a girl that's too aggressive for a sorority is smaller if you purchase from a breeder. If you tell them the girls will be in a sorority, they could probably help you pick girls who are less aggressive...

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 02-25-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #644 
Hyper27

Quote:
1) I personally have made a shelf inside my ten gallon tank for my QT tanks. I put coffee cups on the bottom, set plastic mesh on top and put the QT tanks on that. The weight of the water keeps the tanks from tipping. You can also clip the QT cups to the tank side so they don't tip over, but you need lids with small holes in them so they can breathe but they can't jump out. Don't share equipment between the QT cups when quarantining, and make sure the water from the cups don't contaminate other cups, etc... And just watch each girl to make sure they all are healthy looking and active. I use clear cups so they can see each other and get used to each other, but I place plants between the cups so they are not fully exposed... Does that make sense?

2) check the classified section on this forum. I've purchased all my fish from members here. You need a PayPal account. You can search through the classifieds or post asking for females. You can likely get siblings for a cheaper bulk price. I am getting my girls from Chard56 (I know he has an abundance of dragon girls for sale right now)... Siblings are more socialized with each other already as most private breeders keep all their girls in one big sorority tank. QTing is still needed because sometimes shipping may make them sick, but generally, shipping is very safe. QTing is just a precaution... Some people only QT for a week. Most recommend two. If you want to be very cautious, you should QT at least two weeks if not more.

Edit: also, what do you mean by a reserve tank? I personally have a back up four gallon tank in case one of my girls doesn't work out and its probably a good idea, but your chances of getting a girl that's too aggressive for a sorority is smaller if you purchase from a breeder. If you tell them the girls will be in a sorority, they could probably help you pick girls who are less aggressive...
Alright thanks! On the cups i sort of understand, but do you have a video/picture to help me understand better? I really appreciate your time though!
Thanks,
Hyper27
Hyper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #645 
AyalaCookiejar

I could get a picture of the shelf I made or try to draw a picture of how to set the cups up if you just clip them to the side...
Old 02-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #646 
AyalaCookiejar

These are the canisters from Walmart. I can fit six of these (three across, two up and down) in my ten gallon so you could fit that many in your tank easily. I forget the measurements... I think they are about 10 inches high. If you fill them with water and fill the tank so that the water is a little below the lid, they will sit on the bottom of the tank so you don't need to worry about floating them. You'd need to drill holes in the lids for air, though. This method will work better than clipping cups to the side of the tank or creating a shelf. Honestly, both of those are a pain. The lids screw on so they are secure.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #647 
nel3

I know that you can't keep a female betta in a divided tank with a male in any other partition. Can someone please remind me the reason why it won't work out as a long term setup? I want to get a female betta but I can't have any extra ATM. I have three single occupant tanks and those are doing very well. I have reason to believe that one betta in the 5g divided has his time limited as he looks healthy but has a growth on his body that is suspicious. I can't switch over any other fish to the 5g when one goes due to diff water param ie ial water.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #648 
AyalaCookiejar

You could always acclimate them to tanned water... IAL would benefit all of your bettas. Just any new water needs to be Pre-tanned.

Males can't be housed with males for obvious reasons - because they are aggressive to other bettas, females included. Males and females can be housed together only during breeding. Although, if you made the tank divider so that it could not be seen through, I don't know why you could not put a male and a female in a divided tank, unless it has something to do with scent...

In that case, its probably best to get a second opinion :p but I think docile fish would do better in a divided tank. I don't know how much gender really has to do with it..
Old 02-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #649 
nel3

Quote:
You could always acclimate them to tanned water... IAL would benefit all of your bettas. Just any new water needs to be Pre-tanned.

Males can't be housed with males for obvious reasons - because they are aggressive to other bettas, females included. Males and females can be housed together only during breeding. Although, if you made the tank divider so that it could not be seen through, I don't know why you could not put a male and a female in a divided tank, unless it has something to do with scent...

In that case, its probably best to get a second opinion :p but I think docile fish would do better in a divided tank. I don't know how much gender really has to do with it..
its a tab bit complicated for my 3 single occupant tanks. my blue dt (2.5g) is a thia fish so he's probably been in IAL all his life, i dont know if he'll do well if he goes into the filter side of the tank. his fins are also a bit more delicate from what ive observed than my others. my avy only corresponds to his first week i had him. his fins are a mess since then. the other 2 singles (both 3.4gkk) are CT and ive found the perfect water parameters so their fins dont curl in the normally hard water.

my 5g divided is white plastic crafting mesh and both have a clear veiw of each other. im not too sure how my DeT will react nor a possible female, i do believe scent does play some role in housing. i happen have good luck as far as 5g buddies go for temperment so it could possibly work out. i have a Riccia moss plant, the "eat the roots" plant you find in betta store, i'll be adding another plant in there and i have 1 nerite on the filter/lamp side. i havent had any input how certain plants nor snail shell will suffer in softer ial type tank.

my other option is to take my cracked but good 3.4gkk (2g usable), buy decor and heater. its not the best option timewise per wc schedule nor do i have a spare location to put it. though it could work as a temporary setup until a single occupant tank opens up with my current fish. i do want a female betta badly but i know my limits on time to spend on fish care .
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #650 
AyalaCookiejar

Wow? What is your pH? It would have to be pretty low already to worry about the IAL decreasing it further. I believe most plants (or at least beginner plants) prefer pH of 6.5-7.5 but some like it lower and bettas in general prefer low pH. Snails, on the other hand, do better in more alkaline water. I believe it hardens their shells.

I personally have never worried too much about pH and hardness because I prefer to leave it alone instead of messing with it. I still don't know about housing a male and female... But if your Thai fish has long fins, its probably best to keep him away from the filter.