Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #11 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Thanks, MSG. I feel terrible that it might be my fault and that it didn't occur to me that this could happen. Of course I don't know for sure.

Alejandro has some IAleaves, pvc tunnels, driftwood with java ferns, all sorts of things to hide under but I still wonder. (My fish have so much stuff to hide in that I often can't find them, ha ha.)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Try Garlic and healthy feed like NLS wish your Betta the best.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #13 
mursey

I know this thread is months old but I didn't want to start this whole story over.

So Alejandro is still blind. I keep googling "blind bettas", "why is my betta blind", "popeye vs cataracts" . .. etc etc. He definitely seems blind in BOTH eyes but the other day when I put some meds in his hospital tank his one eye turned grey. No change in behavior at all, just his eye turned grey. Maybe it was just the meds but I wonder if anyone out there has any expertise on this kind of thing.

I read that it could be caused by a fungus or bacteria or injury (but that seems likely for just one eye, not both) .. . old age. . .bright light .. etc. I am moving soon and my mom is willing to care for him since I didn't feel like I should re home a sick betta .. so I think I have until I move to figure out how or whether to treat him. My mom won't mess around with meds but she's willing to take care of him long term. (She has done that for over a month when I traveled).

Anyone out there an "expert" on fishy blindness?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #14 
mursey

This is the lamp I thought might have blinded him. He was in a heavily planted 5 gallon tank.

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-ar...i_sku=14217288

And these are photos of the tank a little before I added some more floating plants and that lamp. So it's just to give an idea of how much cover he did have .. but that light was still really bright I guess. So like these photos but with more plants and another "castle" thingy to hide in.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #15 
Kiara1125

Ok, I honestly think it might be genetics. I've seen lights more powerful then that in a tank similar to that and the fish were fine. It seems Alejandro was produced due to poor breeding.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #16 
mursey

Well that would make me feel a lot better! He was my favorite betta because of his sweet cute personality and now the poor guy just sits around and I think of the sad theme song from Les Mis when I see him, lol.

Thanks for taking interest. :)
Old 02-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #17 
Kiara1125

Aww ... Les Mis is an excellent movie, by the way.

Still, your welcome! I'm willing to do whatever I can to help people and their bettas. At least he'll live out a full and happy life with you. :)
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #18 
mursey

Well- with my mom, ha ha. I'm moving in 2 weeks by airplane so my mom, who loves animals, generously offered to take care of him for as long as he lives, since I didn't feel right trying to rehome him. I also didn't think it was a good idea to try to ship him and all my plants to NJ from AZ.

I think she is bitten by the betta bug anyway. I went to a nice planted tank store the other day and she was drooling at these beautiful black bettas. :)
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

There's no way the lights in my tank blinded my guy. No cloudiness... I think it was genetic. I was confused at first because I bought him not blind and he went blind after I had him a couple weeks. I am nearly 100% sure it was genetic because nothing else makes sense. So I guess they can be born with their sight and lose it as they get older...

The only other possible speculation I've heard was that high pH could possibly cause it, but there isn't really anything to support that, its just speculation. I don't think its anything you did. Unless the light was super bright and on for way too long and the tank was bare, I don't think it was a light problem.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #20 
Kiara1125

Hehe, that works! Black bettas are awesome! *has a black orchid*

I'm moving my 3 tanks from IN to FL in 7 months sooo ... Lets see how that does. Goldfish, bettas, tetras, livebearers ... yay! xD

Tags
blind, blind betta, blindness