Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #21 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Oh, well you know what, there is SUPER high ph and hardness in the Tucson Arizona water. But if that's it, then I can't do much because I soak Indian Almond leaves in my water and let it sit before I add it, and I also use Fluval peat granules to soften it . .. I had mopani wood and lots of plants too, and Amazonia Aqua soil, cycled so the ammonia would not spike and hurt him.

The water is really bad here. I test it even after I add tea colored leaf water and it's still above 8, more like 8.4 It's horrible, I hope that the water in NJ is better in case I get a betta there.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #22 
mursey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Hehe, that works! Black bettas are awesome! *has a black orchid*

I'm moving my 3 tanks from IN to FL in 7 months sooo ... Lets see how that does. Goldfish, bettas, tetras, livebearers ... yay! xD
I was going to move my tanks if I drove, but I am nit driving. Plus I am moving into a small bedroom in my sister's house. . going to school for 10 months. I can't fit all my tanks in 1 little room and it's not really my place to take up.

But when I am done with school and get a small apartment .. watch out! I'm going to put little long aquariums with bettas and plants in every room. . bathroom, kitchen . . bedroom. . :)
Old 02-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #23 
Kiara1125

I hope my fish do ok. They'll go from coldish weather to hot weather and from 7.4 pH to 8.6.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #24 
Kiara1125

I was going to drive with battery air pumps, but me and my boyfriend concluded with shipping them one day. Hopefully they don't get banged up and stressed out ...
Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #25 
mursey

I would think they'd be ok. With me it's more that I'm living with a whole family, husband, wife (my sister) and 2 small children, 2 german shepherds, and there isn't much space anywhere for me to throw around a bunch of tanks. They already have one betta .. actually. If I am lucky they'll let me keep one tank but otherwise I will wait.

When I rehomed my other bettas, I met people who have huge tanks. One guy had 2 or 3 saltwater tanks and 4 freshwater. He gave my bettas each a 10 gallon tank! Another girl had a heated 36 gallon tank and she was about to upgrade. The guy with all the tanks was moving so he could have more tanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #26 
Kiara1125

Lol wow! I would love to meet people like that. Only person is my boyfriend who had 33 tanks (most being betta tanks).he would rescue the worst looking bettas and get them back to normal and provide a good home for them. It's AMAZING how he can transform a fish.

Still, that's pretty crowded! Hopefully everything will work out for you! :) I'm just concerned due to how postage workers tend to treat the packages by throwing them around. I'm going to be EXTREMELY upset if I have a whole bunch of DOAs ...
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #27 
AyalaCookiejar

Not likely. Shipping bettas is generally very successful. You just have to know how to pack them. I have heard that statistically, shipping a fish is safer than driving in a big city. Even people who ship fish internationally have a very small percentage of DOAs... It's just important that you know how to pack them and handle them as you are unpacking them. Usually, even the snail mail priority shipping is almost as successful as overnight shipping..
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #28 
Kiara1125

Thank you! I'll be sure to be careful. :)
Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #29 
mursey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Lol wow! I would love to meet people like that. Only person is my boyfriend who had 33 tanks (most being betta tanks).he would rescue the worst looking bettas and get them back to normal and provide a good home for them. It's AMAZING how he can transform a fish.

Still, that's pretty crowded! Hopefully everything will work out for you! :) I'm just concerned due to how postage workers tend to treat the packages by throwing them around. I'm going to be EXTREMELY upset if I have a whole bunch of DOAs ...

OK that part about rescuing bettas- now that is really what I would absolutely love to do also! I have a "rescue" instinct, I even thought next time maybe I put an ad on craigslist that if you are stuck with your kids' betta and you don't want it, give it to me. . etc. After I had to rehome my bettas I realized that nice people really will adopt free bettas from Craigslist, so I thought someday maybe I can do that.

I did get my betta Nimbus who had pretty bad swim bladder disorder, and after a while he really transformed. He used to need certain aquarium decor to hold him down and one day I realized he did not need anything of the sort and I could take all that crap out of his tank and give him a normal tank. Also, he really grew up in that time, look at him (I know, it's not all MY doing but still .. I would love to rescue bettas)

Old 02-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #30 
sunstar93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
The water is really bad here. I test it even after I add tea colored leaf water and it's still above 8, more like 8.4 It's horrible, I hope that the water in NJ is better in case I get a betta there.
The water where I live has a pH of 8.5 and the water coming from the tap already has an ammonia level of 0.5 ppm...terrible water. It's very alkaline and very soft..not exactly ideal. I get where you're coming from regarding the water!!

I also wish your little boy best of luck...but it sounds like he has a very loving momma in you and a great home to look forward to :)
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blind, blind betta, blindness