Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #1 
firefox1984

Exclamation High Nitrite levels

I have a 150 liter tank that no matter what I do, I can't get the Nitrite levels down past 100 I have done water changes, added more live plants used nitrite eliminator and nothing works I even have a filter for a 250 liter tank. Because of the water conditions all my fish now have Ich, I'm very concerned and frustrated because nothing I'm doing is really helping. I turned my heater up and I am waiting for the water to get 86 degrees and I also added aquarium salt, what else can I do to lower the Nitrite levels? Note my tank is a little over crowded but not to the point were he Nitrite levels should remain this high.
firefox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #2 
firefox1984

Here is what I am doing I prepared my 60 liter tank to receive all my fish I added some JBL white spot remover and added two teaspoons of aquarium salt. The temperature is at 86 and all the fish seem okay. I then removed all the water from my big tank and all the gravel and I am going to wash everything thoroughly. I hope this works if there is anything else I could do please let me know.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #3 
firefox1984

Well so far I lost one Neon Tetra I think it was because it was to hot so I turned the heater disown and things are going good. I'm going to keep them in there as long as I can that way I can re-establish my 150ltr tank and so all fish will be free from any disease. Not looking forward to all the extra work but I don't want all my fish to die not only did they cost a lot of money but I enjoy watching them.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #4 
tekkguy

What is your nitrite testing at? What are you using to test it?

It sounds like you're in the middle of a cycle ... careful, high nitrites are fatal.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #5 
firefox1984

I was using those 6 in 1 test strips but once they are out I'm getting the liquid ones. My nitrite levels were at <500 then after four water changes one day after the other it was at <100. The tank was all ready cycled but was not cleaned before I got new fish. Now I took everything out and cleaned all the gravel, rinsed the tank, then put the gravel and water back in it. I treated the water with some bio booster and have my sponge filter going. Next week when I return from the states I will do a 20% change and put some plants in it. I'm going to cycle it using the fish food method and see if I can soak a sponge or two in a already established tank. Until then I'm done with it, my back is killing me and I am completely exhausted.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #6 
tekkguy

When you get the liquid tests (which are MUCH more reliable), if you are still having weird results, please test your plain tap water. However, as you have taken the tank apart and cleaned it, you have probably wrecked your cycle.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #7 
firefox1984

My wife had the tank for many years and about two years ago all her fish died and she had just the plants in there, they still were alive but the tank wasn't cleaned for probably more then two years. It wasn't until recently we bought more fish but we didn't clean the tank before we brought them home. I would much rather start with a brand new tank that is clean then battle all the crap that has lingered in this tank for so long. Once it gets cycled again I will put the remaining fish I have back in it and make we keep up on the maintenance, because this has been way harder than it should have.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #8 
BulletToothBoris

Just keep doing 50% water changes and use conditioner.
BulletToothBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #9 
firefox1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothBoris View Post
Just keep doing 50% water changes and use conditioner.
A week or a month or when?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #10 
tekkguy

If you're going to remove the fish for a while anyway and have somewhere to keep them, I'd really recommend a fishless cycle. It's just so much safer and healthier for the fish.

If you are going to do a fish-in cycle, don't let the ammonia or nitrites get high - water changes will depend on stocking level, plants, etc.