Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Amanos are great, the best algae eating shrimp period. And fish do not sleep, they rest tho.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #12 
Kiara1125

I like Amano shrimp and Red Cherry Shrimp. They both eat algae and my bettas are fine with them and the RCS babies.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #13 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
I like Amano shrimp and Red Cherry Shrimp. They both eat algae and my bettas are fine with them and the RCS babies.
Amano are a good choice, but I wouldn't risk RCS with a betta until you put a cheaper shrimp in there like a ghost to see how he reacts. Even then, with as bright as an RCS is, they basically are a bulls eye for a betta and would likely end up as a meal for them.

I wouldn't try any brightly colored shrimp unless you are prepared to lose a few and are heavily planted so they can hide if need be
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #14 
Kiara1125

Well, my shrimplets hang around my bettas, so ... I guess it depends on the fish.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #15 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Amano are a good choice, but I wouldn't risk RCS with a betta until you put a cheaper shrimp in there like a ghost to see how he reacts. Even then, with as bright as an RCS is, they basically are a bulls eye for a betta and would likely end up as a meal for them.

I wouldn't try any brightly colored shrimp unless you are prepared to lose a few and are heavily planted so they can hide if need be
+1

actually, i saw my amano cleaning the algae off Yo the Golden Mystery Snail's shell, kind of cute...
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #16 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Well, my shrimplets hang around my bettas, so ... I guess it depends on the fish.

Oh yeah, it definitely depends on the fish, I was trying to make that point in my first point.
But in my situation, I trust all my fish with ghosties, they will try to attack them the first few days, but have only ever killed a few. But, as soon as I tried an RCS with any of them, well, the RCS became a meal within a day.

It's something you have to keep a close eye on, and you really have to know the tempermant of your betta if you dont want to waste $5 (if store bought) on a shrimp.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #17 
Kiara1125

Yeah, my shrimp all came from my boyfriend's stock. They're $5 each here too, yet they want $0.25 per shrimp if you sell them. Yeah, no. Still, my bettas killed ghost shrimp, but not RCS. The RCS seem to have a way with the bettas. Feeding time, they hide, but every other time they're fine. They even swim through the water past the bettas. I've never seen Amano shrimp around here. I heard a possibility once, but they were the same price as the RCS.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #18 
GailC

Between my two bettas, one will kill the RCS if he can while the other could care less about them. My lps sells the cherries for .99 so its no big deal if a few get chomped plus they breed pretty well in the community tank.
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #19 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
Between my two bettas, one will kill the RCS if he can while the other could care less about them. My lps sells the cherries for .99 so its no big deal if a few get chomped plus they breed pretty well in the community tank.
Wow $0.99 each is a great price.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #20 
aemaki09

.99? LUCKY! Lol
The only way I can enjoy paying .99 a piece is if I buy online, which doesn't end up truly being .99 a piece when shipping is factored in.
My LFS said that he was able to sell them for .50 a piece if you bought 25+ though

Tags
ghost shrimp, nervous, tank mates, whisker shrimp, worried