Betta Fish Forum banner

hi everyone!! tell me, what was your first experience with fish like?

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  registereduser 
#1 ·
was it good? stressful? how was your first aquarium like? hehe
i love hearing about everyone's first experiences
i'm very new to all this, the first few nights i was really on the verge of going bonkers!!! i took in so much information in such little time and was thinking too much about it haha my problem.. thinking too much :roll:

also, not sure if i posted it in the right forum.. sorry if it's not right

#2 ·
Glad to see you here! The first few days can be very stressful if you realize you dont have the right kits for them!

I dont remember my first experience too well. I think I was like 4-5 and my dad got me one as a gift because I would always fall asleep in front of his tank so he figured he would put one by my bed so I could fall asleep there a bit better. (i've never been one to fall asleep at a decent time)
Anyways, he didnt last too long. He was in a 1 gallon bowl with a couple of fake plants for him to hang out in. No heater but we lived in florida so it wasnt too much of a problem. He must have lasted a couple of months at the least. After him I fell in love with bettas though and have been keeping them on and off throughout my life.

#9 ·
yeah.. i bought my betta fish without knowing ANYTHING about them! what a big mistake sigh
wont be purchasing any live animals again without researching about them first haha

your dad is smart! i've never been one to fall asleep at a decent time either, i'm a night owl(that's that my parents call me) hehe

it must be beautiful in Florida

i enjoyed reading your post! thank you for taking your time out of your day to write about it :)

#3 ·
My first Experience with fish and an aquarium was great :) I was 5 when I got my first tank. I had gotten the fish first as an early birthday gift from my parents and we had them in a little 10 gallon. Then the next day(or what felt like the next day) my grandma and uncle were setting up this HUGE tank. I being very curious asked a ton of questions, and then when the tank was ready and cycled I got to put all the fish in to the big new tank.

Welcome to the forum :) hehe I know how you feel I was the same way last year when I found this site I was on here looking up betta stuff for hours. This site convenced me to get my two boys I have now :) and I still want more bettas XP

#4 ·
Welcome to the forums! My first experience, hmm...I think i was probably around 7 or 8, and i think my mom bought me a neon tetra or a guppy, i dont remember, or maybe it was a goldfish. It was a little tank, i had a filter and an air pump with some gravel and decoration. Ever since that day, it has been non-stop fish crazy, but i could never keep them alive, they just kept dying. Finally, when i was a teenager, i saved up enough money to buy a big tank and bought my first baby oscar, i think i had that guy for a couple years, the most out of all my fishes. He was about 3" inches when i first got him, and when i gave him away to the petstore, he was about 9" inches. That was a very sad day for me, i almost cried, lol.

Anyway, it's been about a good 7-8 years hiatus since my first pet, it's nice to be back. In a way, it's a good thing, i'm a much more mature and knowledgeable pet enthusiast now.

#11 ·
thank you! thank you for taking time out of your day to post here! neon tetras are pretty little fish aren't they? hehe so are guppies! and goldfish are such cuties, they never fail to amuse me
buying your first oscar with your own money, what an accomplishment! haha i would have cried if i had to give him away too
i always tend to become very attached to my pets
i'm sure he was a very happy fish under your care :) why did you have to give him away?

#5 ·
i took home a 10 gallon tank along with some goldfish, a box filter and some rubber airline tube and an airpump from pet land discounts. i was told i have everytying i needed, including fish flakes.... everyone was dead over the course of the week thereafter. felt like a murderer... while pet land discounts closed a nice sale off me.

#8 ·
My first experience was a little overwhelming. I was only ten and started with a ten gallon tank. I didn't know much about cycling..but crazy enough my fish lived forever! Then after a year..my grandma got me a 26 gallon aquarium for Christmas! I was so shocked! Now that I am moved out on my own..my husband and I have six bettas..one seven gallon aquarium for tropical fish and a ten gallon. All my bettas live in different tanks :) They are all very loved!

#14 ·
mine...
back in highschool...
A small jar, a plant, and a feeder mosquito fish. funny. the mosquito fish even gave birth.

after that I did a quart jar, and two feeder rosy red minnows. they survived for a few months then died when my grandma added tap water to their jar.

Now... I still keep large jars and mini tanks... the only difference is... I know what I'm doing...

#15 ·
Welcome to the forum!! I was overwhelmed when I first joined too, so don't worry, it fades.

Let's see.......

My first experience EVER was when I was 2 and my parents had a few goldfish... I don't really remember that too well though. My first BETTA experience was, well, not so good.

My brother received a Betta for his birthday, along with a 1/2 gallon tank, water conditioner, and some flake food. and, oh yeah, a super-sharp plastic plant & gravel. -_-

It was a gorgeous metallic blue VT, and he named it Fred. we never did water changes, and the house was freezing. We had no heater. The plant began to rust, but we didn't know that was bad so we left it. We only fed Fred once a week, and never did water changes. At some point or another, Fred died.

About seven years later, I joined this forum and got Winter and Peach. (they got a divided 10 gallon, thankfully) This was about six months ago. Then I got Merlin, back in October. Then Pi, for X-mas. About two days ago, I got Tesla. All of my fishies are well.

Good luck on your own fishy!! ~Saphira

#18 ·
My earliest fish memory was back in the 60's. We were out one night and came home to find a dried up swordtail that had jumped out of our tank and onto the livingroom carpet. I remember the tank being moved to the diningroom after that :lol:

As kids we had swords, guppies, some kissing fish and some angel fish, cories and otos and my brother even had a piranha for awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.