Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #61 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelu74 View Post
So if I pay a tax on a cd that I use for backing up my photos because the record companies have petitioned to offsett their losses from downloading is that considred stealing. After all I am being indirectly taxed for the music I download.
what?
I do not understand what you're asking...
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #62 
Perry the platypus

I don't get it either.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #63 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
what?
I do not understand what you're asking...
I think she posted on the wrong thread. lol
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #64 
LadyVictorian

I'm not sure what she means by that either. Tax doesn't go to the record labels it's for your state. If I steal your sofa and get taxed for the trailer I used to load it up I still stole your sofa. That doesn't change a thing.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #65 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelu74 View Post
So if I pay a tax on a cd that I use for backing up my photos because the record companies have petitioned to offsett their losses from downloading is that considred stealing. After all I am being indirectly taxed for the music I download.
If I'm correct, you are asking if a record label got legal permission to receive taxes every time you by a blank CD (the same way every state receives state taxes) would that be stealing if you used the CD for something besides music. If I'm correct, let's call that the "record label tax" that would be shown on your receipt along with state tax.

My answer is no because you could have used a USB drive instead. No court in it's right mind would attach a "record label tax" to something that diverse. I also doubt they would extend it to internal or external hard drives since you can't prove someone will use their computer for the sole purpose of ripping off music companies. The same can be said for blank data disc, memory cards, SD cards, and every other form of electronic data storage other than blank music CDs.

However, the question is moot becaues a "record label tax" would never exist. Mainly because a tax has to go to the right source consistantly. Since monopolies are illegal, all the record labels can't join forces to make "The Label" and claim ownership of every song every released by every label. Also, no one record label company can prove it was their music that was stolen and not recorb label B's music. Since "The Label" can't form to own all music and no one record label company can prove that a blank CD was brought just to steal their music, such a petition would be dead before it reached a law maker.

Edit: I know this is is complete derailment of the thread, but since the qouted post confused so many people I felt like taking a stab at it. Derailment Police, please forgive me. XD

Last edited by SnowySurface; 02-26-2013 at 01:13 PM.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #66 
Perry the platypus

How did this thread get from getting back my phone to taxes?!?!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #67 
SnowySurface

I have no idea.

But if you still have no phone and can't go outside, have you tried any other indoor hobbies (besides fish keeping XD)? I also like to knit, read, play video games (if you're allowed), puzzles, and plants. I'm also trying to learn how to cook but that's more "survival" than "hobby". ^_^;
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #68 
Kiara1125

I stare at my fish and try to draw them. xD
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #69 
Perry the platypus

I don't have puzzles, I have a brown thumb because all the plants I take care of die in one day. I could try cooking but my mom will yell at me for making a big mess. I can't knit but I could draw so hopefully* I could get better at it.

*I am horrible at drawing or that's what I think.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #70 
Kiara1125

I play solitaire a LOT. I have over 1000 games played on my laptop cuz I would just sit there, blare Evanescence in my ears, and play games. It doesn't help that whenever I'm depressed that I listen to depressing music.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote