Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #31 
ao
TFK Moderator

moved the filter :O
found a forest of plants on the left side!!!

sucky phone camera takes over exposed photos :(
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #32 
LittleBettaFish

This is technically a planted tank since it's planted, it's a tank and there's some water.

It is an experiment of sorts. The java fern has been emersed for a week or so now and is doing fine. My mini bolbitis melted ages ago and is what you see in the foreground. Other plants are standard java, narrow leaf java, mini java, anubias nana, crypt 'lutea' (I think) and giant duckweed.

Java ferns seem to be coping fine with daily mistings and the crypts are sending new leaves off everywhere. Hoping if this is successful, when I have money again I will set-up an emersed bowl with seiryu rock and chuck in some stem plants as well as a couple of these:

http://www.bonsaioutlet.com/chinese-...c-crane-mm237/

Forgot to add I chucked this together last night using what I had on hand. It's a 20x20x20cm tank. Substrate is miracle-gro under sand.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #33 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
This is technically a planted tank since it's planted, it's a tank and there's some water.

It is an experiment of sorts. The java fern has been emersed for a week or so now and is doing fine. My mini bolbitis melted ages ago and is what you see in the foreground. Other plants are standard java, narrow leaf java, mini java, anubias nana, crypt 'lutea' (I think) and giant duckweed.

Java ferns seem to be coping fine with daily mistings and the crypts are sending new leaves off everywhere. Hoping if this is successful, when I have money again I will set-up an emersed bowl with seiryu rock and chuck in some stem plants as well as a couple of these:

Forgot to add I chucked this together last night using what I had on hand. It's a 20x20x20cm tank. Substrate is miracle-gro under sand.
Holy Cupcakes!
Great minds sure think alike ;)
I have almost the exact same setup... with anubias and Java fern on lava rock! in a cube!!! Only difference is the amount of water and moss invasion. lolol!
4inx4in
which is... 10cmx10cm?

Old 02-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #34 
LittleBettaFish

Haha I used to have tons of anubias and even though I couldn't use it in an aquarium I just couldn't bring myself to sell it all. Same with my mini java fern as it cost heaps when I got it.

My poor bolbitis threw some new leaves when I had it emersed in my 2ft tank which is where the rest of the anubias is but the leaves quickly browned off even with the mistings. So I am hoping that it will grow submerged a bit better.

I want to do a sort of rainforest feel. Thinking of adding some downoi, hairgrass HC and more moss in the hopefully not so distant future.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #35 
ao
TFK Moderator

ooh downoi, I'm waiting to buy off someone local... p. helferi is just too darn expensive ontop of shipping.

I'm sure ur tank will look stunning! I love emmersed stuff. most of my "tanks" are emmersed XD I would totally keep a vampire crab or somethin in your tank if I can find one :P

Try making a cover for your tank... I've cut clear plastic folders to fit the top of my cube before and it was almost invisible, It keeps the humidity in, most submersed plants dont take well to the drastic change in humidity when converting to emmersed...

I also have a 30cm x30cmx H45cm terrarium I need to plant~
Old 02-23-2013, 01:48 AM   #36 
LittleBettaFish

Mine has cling wrap over the top of it to keep the humidity in. I thought the java fern would have curled right up and died but it all seems to be doing well.

My mum had this beautiful emersed bowl set-up the guy at the LFS made, but one of our cats got in and tore everything up and so it has to go back to him to be put back together haha.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #37 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post

I love the way this looks!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #38 
Oldfishlady

Awesome job everyone....Great planted tanks....

Here are a few of my soil based planted tanks...

55gal

Spawning tank 10gal

One of the 5gals

One of the 2gal

The 75gal

Newly setup 20gal with some Betta fry

Another 10gal spawning tank, however, I was spawning Danios when this shot was taken

The 55gal, 2-20gals, 10gal and a corner of the 25gal

A shot of most of the tanks

A lot of the stocking has changed since these pics-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #39 
Otterfun

Wow OFL, it's a lot of tanks, almost like an aquarium building
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #40 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Wow OFL, it's a lot of tanks, almost like an aquarium building
Laffs....yeah....and you haven't even seen all of them.....lol....I have a lot more.....I have over 1 ton of water in just that area of my house alone...lol....

Having all these tanks is the main reason I went natural planted-I couldn't keep up with water changes otherwise....

I have a big project planned once it is warm enough to take most of the livestock outside and I can have the doors open to gravity drain out in the yard with the python-I need to tear the 75gal down and this means I will need to tear a couple of others down to harvest different species of plants for the 75gal. Its time for a fresh look on a couple anyways...It took me 2 days to do this with the 55gal when I tore it down and in doing it to about 3 tanks-It might take me a week to get it all done....A lot of work-but I am looking forward to it too....Lots of fun re-scaping and planting-first I gotta go dig some fresh dirt....lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou