Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #1 
soady

Smile How my bettas recovered... :)

A quick story about my bettas: I got them for my girlfriend for our anniversary but didn't know much about them so I didn't keep them properly, they were cold, gotten sick, etc. which brings us to the 1st picture:

The first picture was taken as soon as I got her home and the second was taken a few weeks later when he got fin melt. I wanted to sum up their worst state and continue on with the 2nd picture:

Here, they were all good, this was taken before I went home for the holidays and had to take my bettas with me. I carried them in little jars for a 4 hour trip to my hometown. They were feeling amazing back there because it was much warmer. I haven't got a picture of them during the holidays since I didn't have my camera with me but I decorated their 1 gallon jars with Christmas garments and they were encouraged to mate. He kept making bubble nests while she layed around 100 eggs on her own and ate them all in the next few days. This encouraged me to get a heater and an aquarium to keep them here, where I go to college.

I improvised with the heater until my aquarium order was done because I didn't want them to change back to my cold room temperature. In a few days I picked up their new home and set it up:

It is a perfect tank for two bettas! It has a dividing glass in the center which can easily be removed by pulling up. They are dancing all night so I couldn't take a decent photo. They are really enjoying their new home. Also, while the female was at that red can she had yellow vertical stripes which makes me happy. They are completely healthy now. Here are a few pics I barely took while they were standing still, breathing out the surface. :D

That's it, as I promised, I listened to a lot of people on this forum and did as they said and the difference is visible. Bettas are tough and they can survive cruel conditions but they won't be happy and they won't blossom and live the way they are intended to. Next step for their home is a filter-pump, I will post more pics if I make any changes and also make this thread a general thread about my bettas. Thanks for paying attention!
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

That is great that your bettas are so much happier and healthier now Their new set up looks great and I am sure they are very appreciative of their heater!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #3 
RandomCookie

Oh wow! What a big change! Some more plants for the tank would make them feel more comfortable, because they could hide and rest in. :)
RandomCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #4 
soady

Thanks for replying! :) I already bought a filter and will post pictures as soon as I can. As for the plants, I am getting my information right now about which would be the best and the easiest to maintain.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #5 
soady

An unexpected encounter!

Hi,

A few days ago when I installed the new dividing part I made a mistake and found my bettas together in the morning! In the same chamber of the aquarium. I now have an Atman HF100 filter and the water is very clean, although I need to buy a siphon tomorrow and change some percent of the water... The aquarium is still in the transitioning state so I just improvised with simple things so my bettas would feel more comfortable, like that plastic bed on the right.

Anyway, after the night together, only my male got his fins teared while the female suffered minimal damage:

They are happy and healthy and the tears are healing up nicely. She developed a habit of exploring the bottom and nipping on the fallen food even though she eats normally when it's feeding time. I will take care of this with siphon vacuuming and some more gravel.

Thanks for paying attention!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #6 
soady

Hello everyone,

I decided to divide the two chambers with a piece of wood and a very safe net wrapped around two bamboo plants at the middle.

I also got two Ancistrus (one albino, which I see every other day and one leopard dotted) and a snail.

And 6 regular neon tetras.

This is my betta's favorite resting place. It looks so comfy!

Anyway, I think he wants two females! :D

That's a beautiful nest! Or nests... I put them together for 20 minutes yesterday and he was really encouraged to work on the nest.

He is still healing his old cuts (from when they had a fight) but is good overall. A bit constipated at this pic (it was yesterday and it's gone now) but one of few where I can catch him in a decent position.

She is looking great:

I will start conditioning once I get some new plants and when the male's fins recover completely. I have read a lot about it, watched a ton of videos and also found a way to obtain everything I need for the fry. Wish me luck, I will post pics here regularly and by that I mean that I will report all changes here in pictures!

Thanks for your time! :)
Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Please do not breed them. They are both veiltails (bad finnage)
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #8 
soady

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Please do not breed them. They are both veiltails (bad finnage)
Can you tell me what is bad about it, please?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #9 
blu the betta

they are all beautiful.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #10 
soady

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu the betta View Post
they are all beautiful.
Thank you! They are also pretty large. :)

Tags
betta recovery tank