Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #11 
aemaki09

Yeah, I'd supplement and add a few more. 10 gallons IS a little too small for them, but I think you could make it work since you only have 1 betta as a tankmate for them.

I'm not worried about it not being cycled yet, I imagine that you take good care of your water, I'm just worried that there might not be enough algea in there for them yet. You'll definitely want to have blanched something or other in there everyday until the tank has been running for a few months.

If it were me, I'd add 1 more now, and then maybe look into getting 2 more a little down the road.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #12 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I'm just worried that there might not be enough algea in there for them yet.
That's the strange thing- they haven't even put a dent in the diatoms, which is why I was worried that they were too insecure to come out and nosh on them. I thought they were supposed to love diatoms- I wouldn't have gotten them if I hadn't thought they would have plenty to eat. I'm trying to grow some algae for them on rocks outside, but so far all I've got is a diatom farm.

I'll keep trying the veggies- I've heard it can take some time before they realize it's food. Thinking about trying the Repashy Super Green, too, or the Nutrafin spirulina tablets- it's hard to find commercial food for algae eaters that doesn't have fish in it. Maybe nori, if I can find it.

Anyways, I think you're right and I should get 1 more, at least for now. They're not sick, but they don't seem entirely happy.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #13 
Nicci Lu

I just gotta laugh at myself.

Pardon for the paranoid questions... Yesterday I was worried that my otos weren't eating enough. Then I woke up this morning...

Now I'm asking...is my oto too fat?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #14 
aemaki09

Looks like it might be an eggy female, nicci Lu.

And I honestly don't know what diatom algae is, but I have seen a lot of people online say that their oto's won't touch it
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #15 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Poor oto, happy fat betta if that's true. I've read it's extremely difficult to breed otos successfully, and I'm way too much of a newbie at fish keeping. OTH, I'd feel somewhat cruel letting any fry hatch in the tank knowing they'll be betta treats. Oh no, more stuff to look up. :)

Quote:
And I honestly don't know what diatom algae is, but I have seen a lot of people online say that their oto's won't touch it
It's a fuzzy brown-rust colored algae that is often present in tanks that are nearly finished cycling and when there are silicates in the water- both true in my case, I believe. Well, I guess mine won't touch it, go figure. I'm trying some blanched peas threaded on a string that hangs against the wall of the tank- for some reason my betta only tries to eat the veggies when they're laying on the gravel.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #16 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
Poor oto, happy fat betta if that's true. I've read it's extremely difficult to breed otos successfully, and I'm way too much of a newbie at fish keeping. OTH, I'd feel somewhat cruel letting any fry hatch in the tank knowing they'll be betta treats. Oh no, more stuff to look up. :)

It's a fuzzy brown-rust colored algae that is often present in tanks that are nearly finished cycling and when there are silicates in the water- both true in my case, I believe. Well, I guess mine won't touch it, go figure. I'm trying some blanched peas threaded on a string that hangs against the wall of the tank- for some reason my betta only tries to eat the veggies when they're laying on the gravel.

The oto's will re absorbe all their eggs so its nothing to worry about (if she is infact eggy) I have never had my oto's spawn but my cories do so on a weekly basis it seems. If I notice I try to save as many eggs as possible, but usually most end up as betta food too. They get so fat!

Anyways, I have heard oto's aren't fans of diatoms, but wouldn't know from experience. Mine just really like the green algae that grows on the glass, and the bio-film on my plants
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #17 
Nicci Lu

I've been trying to catch a glimpse of Tweek's belly to see if she (?) has yellow, which is supposed to signify eggs, but so far not cooperating. Oh well, I'll keep an eye on her.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #18 
fairghum

Quote:

They better eat it! That's why I got them! I've read they do like to eat diatom algae, and i've had to clean my 20 gal at least every 3 days the past 4 mos. since set up because of the darn stuff. So I'm hoping the little guys I got today will at least help with the chore.
fairghum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #19 
Nicci Lu

Oh, they'll eat it. The tank mine are in is now diatom free. I still get some on my sponge baffle- my otos love water change day cuz I shake the diatoms off in the tank. I predict you shall have happy, fat otos. :)