Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #1 
Betta Rookie

Exclamation Average recovery time?

I went away for a few days. My husband was feeding our fish while I was gone and did not notice that the betta was starting to get sick. (He's responsible but was sick himself and not at his most observant.) By the time I got back, Gilgamesh was in pretty rough shape. He was staying at the bottom of the tank, pale, and not eating.

I looked up Gil's symptoms and it seemed like the best treatment would be a quarantine tank with 1 gallon of water dosed with epsom salt. That's what I did for him yesterday morning.

Gil seemed a little better when I got home from work today, but when I changed 50% of his water he went right back to where he was yesterday.

I thought I would run this information by experienced members to see if they had any ideas. I hesitate to take a picture of Gil right now because I would need a flash and I hate to startle him in an already fragile state.

quarantine tank and size: 2 gallon filled with 1 gallon of water, 2 new (thoroughly rinsed) aquarium rocks, and 1 new (thoroughly rinsed) silk betta plant for his comfort if he goes to the surface

heater and temperature: a betta bowl heater with the temperature holding steady at 76 degrees F - I tried to get a better one today to get it warmer but both nearby pet supply stores were sold out. I hesitate to put in a bigger 'bowl' heater because I don't want to cook the little guy and I don't think these things turn off automatically.

food: still not eating

behavior: Gil has been laying sort of on his side and hardly moving. I would think he was dead except for the movement of his gills and the occasional fin movement when I look at him closely.

My basic question is; How long does it take (on average) to tell whether or not a treatment is working?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all.
Betta Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #2 
callistra

How much epsom salt are you using? Does the label say 100% magnesium sulfate? No other dyes, perfumes or additives of any kind? how are you redosing with the water changes?

Are you making sure the new water is the same temp as current water by placing your thermometer under the running tap? Premixing it with conditioner before adding?

In the one gallon you need at least 2 50% and one 100% a week.

Please fill this out to know your regular keeping habits.http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #3 
Betta Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
How much epsom salt are you using? Does the label say 100% magnesium sulfate? No other dyes, perfumes or additives of any kind? how are you redosing with the water changes?

Are you making sure the new water is the same temp as current water by placing your thermometer under the running tap? Premixing it with conditioner before adding?

In the one gallon you need at least 2 50% and one 100% a week.

Please fill this out to know your regular keeping habits.http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
The recommendation that I saw most frequently in threads was 1 tsp. of epsom salt per gallon. There are no other dyes and the label does say 100% magnesium sulfate.

I have been premixing the salt in the gallon of water so that the amount of salt in the water stays consisitent during changes. I do treat the water with conditioner before adding the salt and let it sit for an hour.

I pour some of the treated water into a clean mug and heat it in the microwave. Then I pour that back into the gallon jug and check the temperature. When it's the same temperature as the water in the tank, I add it.

I need to get a new water test kit but I do have some "emergency" test strips. I've tested with two before and after the water change and both times the readings were good.

The one gallon QT tank is not Gilgamesh's usual home and there seems to be conflicting advice about whether to change a sick betta's water in a QT tank 100% daily or 50% daily. After the relapse from the 50% water change today I am really hesitant to do a 100% change.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

How do you acclimate after a water change?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #5 
Betta Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
How do you acclimate after a water change?
I've been trying to add the water slowly. Is there a step that I'm missing?

Tags
disease, recovery, treatment