Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #1 
Renzia

Cool Tail Type Help

Ok. So.... This is Raz. THE RAZ.... pretty simple and straight forward... I know he's a crowntail... but... what the heck is up with his tail? Anyone have any idea what might have happened? he sorta looks like.. a double tail/Crowntail cross gone wrong? Love him just the way he is but... still i am rather curious... and Yes... I got him from an Aquarium Fish store... not a Petco, Walmart or Petsmart.. Thought he was all black when I bought him and Lazu... Little help here? O_O?
(I know some of the photos are kinda... odd/bad, but i tried to get the better ones of his tail.. he does *NOT* like to stay still...)
Attached Images

Renzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #2 
Skyewillow

it looks like a damaged ray trying to grow back. I could be wrong though.

He's very nice though, what a lucky find! ^_~
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #3 
Renzia

Thats kind of what I thought too, either way, if it grows back, great, if not, he is still gorgeous XD Lucky Indeed. never know where you will find the 'Gems' that are out there... sitting in yucky water... just waiting for someone to find and love them back to being a diamond (or Emerald... or whatever suits your fancy)
Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #4 
Skyewillow

Some of the most amazing fish I've ever seen have been sitting in dirty cups. A lot of people don't even realize what's really there under the skinny, droopy, and abused creature sitting there!

His tail shouldn't have too much trouble growing back though, one of my males came to me with his tail cut (as in by scissors or something like it), and it took since October, but they're back to normal now.

Best of luck with him, he really is a gem!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #5 
Renzia

Right? Some of the transformations are just... amazing... I know there is a thread on here with befores and afters.

...CUT?! Who in their right mind would CUT the tail of a fish!? thats like... mega ow... Poor guy. Glad it grew back. We'll just have to see what happens with Raz here. Thanks for the input! Much appreciated!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #6 
Saphira101

Looks to me like possible fin rot...

I could very well be wrong though.

Beautiful boy you have there!!!!
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #7 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzia View Post
Right? Some of the transformations are just... amazing... I know there is a thread on here with befores and afters.

...CUT?! Who in their right mind would CUT the tail of a fish!? thats like... mega ow... Poor guy. Glad it grew back. We'll just have to see what happens with Raz here. Thanks for the input! Much appreciated!
No kidding (on the transformations, and the tail cutting)!!

I'm looking forward to seeing your wonderful Raz once that ray grows back, he's going to be a total heart breaker!

(also, I approve of the name, I used to have a royal blue and red CT named Raz)
Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #8 
Renzia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphira101 View Post
Looks to me like possible fin rot...

I could very well be wrong though.

Beautiful boy you have there!!!!

Thank you very much! He was like that when I got him, so nothing would really surprise me. I'll wait a bit longer I guess and if nothing changes, well then i have a unique betta XD
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #9 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzia View Post

sometimes it's done in cases of extreme fin rot. the infected fin is cut away to prevent it from getting into the fish's actual body (which is generally considered incurable)
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #10 
Renzia

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
sometimes it's done in cases of extreme fin rot. the infected fin is cut away to prevent it from getting into the fish's actual body (which is generally considered incurable)
Huh... learn something new everyday. and I guess that does indeed make sense. Save the body, as the fins will (hopefully) regrow.... not that I would do it... seems kinda like torture to me