Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #1 
skaella

Unhappy Need help with my Bettafish

So! My betta fish is always floating at the surface, he doesn't feel well at all. I'm use of having betta, but this is new. I don't understand. At first, he was always at the bottom, for 5 days. Than I decided to treat him with some Methyline blue because he seemed to have some Hitch. I started the treatment Saturday. I changed half of the water sunday. Then monday 10%. Today I'm going to change around 10% again..

But he isn't going better. He seems to be even worse with the hitch... Help? And he seem fatter o_o

Housing

What size is your tank? 1.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 22
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? No, the room is tho
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No one

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin MAX - Betta Colour Enhancing Flakes ( Contain dried bloodworms )
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, small quantity

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 10% once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

I don't know real name I only got these :

PH : 7
NO2 *0.3 mg/l
GH - 1 Drop
KH - 2 Drop
Nh34 0.25

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Seem to be more ' fat ' and white little sugar thingy on him ( Hitch ? )
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is always floating at the surface, doesn't move. Or he will go and lay down on the floor or the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, Blue Methyliene
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him 1.5 months ago, I'd say less than a year old
skaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #2 
kulain

Hi there,

I am sorry your fish is sick, mine also had ick or ich (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) which is the sugar like thing you described on their skin. There are a lot of helpful articles on how to treat it on the web and from people's helpful posts here, the most important of which is raising the temperature of your tank so that the ick hatches quickly and detach from your betta, and adding aquarium salt (1/2 tsp per gallon to 1tsp) to kill the swimming ich in the water. Methlyene blue can also be used to kill ich in the water. Note the ich can only be killed once it detaches from your betta, so you still see the sugar lumps on your betta the ich is no where near dead. Once your betta has no more lumps you need to keep treating the water for a week and make 100% water changes and clean your aquarium really well to get the ick out.

BUT, I think your main problem is that your betta has very very poor water conditions.

Firstly the water is very dirty from such little change and probably contaminated with high ammonia and fish waste, this will burn and hurt the betta. That is why he is going to the surface to escape and breathe. 10% water change a week is way too little for a 1.5 gallon tank. You need to make at least 50% water changes twice a week and 100% water change with washing of all the things in the tank once a week if your tank has no real, living plants in it.

Secondly the water is way too cold! 22 celsius is freezing for the betta. It needs to be at least 76 degrees. He is very cold which is why he is being very slow and sluggish on the bottom.

This is what I did to treat my fish, it might be helpful to you as well:

1. Remove your fish from the current tank into a small bowl such as the one he came in, wash your aquarium thoroughly and take out any decorations and substrates - because ich might have attached to it. You should leave these out while you are treating him, then when he is well again and the ich is all dead you can add them back in after cleaning them thoroughly.

2. Fill your tank with clean water that has been treated with water conditioner such as seachem prime, this makes the ammonia in your water non-toxic for 24 hours. All water you add into your aquarium should be treated this way.

3. Dissolve aquarium salt (1/2 tsp to 1tsp per gallon of tank water) in warm water then add it to the tank.

4. Get a aquarium heater and a thermometer so you can see what temperature is your water, heat it up to 80 degrees to make the ich life cycle faster so they quickly detach from your fish.

5. Gently acclimate your betta to the water by floating his bowl in the tank, then slowly adding the water from the tank to his bowl. Add a little bit of water, wait 5-10 mins, add a little bit more.

6. Scoop out your betta and add him to the new tank. Do not put in water in your bowl to reduce introducing free swimming ick from getting reintroduced.

7. Now every day while he is sick, change the water 50% to 100%! Every time add water conditioner to the new water, and add dissolved aquarium salt once the water is changed, while keeping the temperature a constant 80+ degrees. Keep doing for a few days even after you no longer see ich on him.

NOTE: only use the aquarium salt for 10 days maximum, any more can be harmful. I have also used 1/2 - 1 drop Quick Cure in conjunction with aquarium salt to kill the ich, quick cure contains Methlyene blue. BUT I have read some people do not recommend using it since it kills fish as well as parasites, so use it at your own discretion.

It took my fishy 10 days to fully recover from the ich, good luck with yours!
kulain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #3 
callistra

First off bettas need to be kept in 2 gallons minimum. In these twice weekly water changes of 50% and 100% are needed. Bettas kept in 1 gallon containers live an average of about 2 years compared to double that+ in larger containers. The 1 gallon would need 3 weekly water changes of 50%, 50% and 100%, and even then they will be subjected to ammonia.

The 50% changes the betta can be kept in the bowl and use a turkey baster to remove half the water and as much of the debris as possible. For the 100% you need to remove him - scoop him out with a plastic solo type cup and set aside while you thoroughly rinse the bowl and gravel to remove the debris. Then he should be acclimated to the new water by floating for an hour while you slowly add a couple tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes. When you release him, try to let as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems.

Bettas are tropical fish and must be kept at a temp between 76-82, with 78-80 being ideal. The temp must be stable and not be dipping or jumping around. In a 2 gallon you can get an adjustable 25w heater. Any new heater should be tested for 24 hours in similar size container with in tank thermometer to make sure it will hold a constant appropriate temp between 78-80F. Then the betta must be acclimated to higher temp either by floating in a cup inside the main already fully heated tank for an hour, or by adjusting the heater to increase the temperature of the tank no more than a degree per hour and 5 degrees per day.

Flakes aren't good nutritional value, and especially with something this small they muck up the water quickly cuasing excess ammonia. You should look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you pick up) and one fast day a week.

So.. first step is get your betta in warm clean water and maintain the water quality. Next step I would continue epsom salts - 1 tsp per gallon predissolved and added slowly over an hour to avoid shock. They need to be pure 100% magnesium sulfate with no dyes, perfumes or additives of any kind. I get mine from CVS Pharmacy. They only need to be readded along with a water change, and then only readd as much as water you change. I would leave him in these for 2 weeks.

Please post back on whether or not he looks sprinkled in salt or his scales look raised at all.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #4 
skaella

Sadly, Greed, the bettafish died few hours ago... well at least I tried :(

I tested the water, everythhing was fine, no amoniac or so. And the temp in Farhaneith is 74 , wich is good no?

I had and still have a lot of Bettafish, I usually save them when they get sick but sadly, this one couldn't be save :(

Oh and I just looked back at the aquarium box, it 1.77 gallon ( not 1.5 ) . Anyway, I have a lot of fish tank ( all the same model) and I had a Betta for 3 and a half year when he died from a disease that I dont know the name of in english...

But oh well :( A least my other betta fish are still fine!

R.I.P Greed :(
skaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #5 
callistra

I'm sorry :(

I'm sorry but it's not possible in a tank of this size doing weekly 10% water changes with no filter that you would have no ammonia. Your test kit is not working or you are not doing the test right.

No, he was too cold.. you were not doing enough water changes.. he was being fed lower quality food.. you need conditioner.. etc.. have a read through everything I wrote and make adjustments with your current fish's keeping and they should live longer.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote