Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #151 
polukoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddybelle View Post
Could you PM me some pics? Turns out the LPS's supplier decided to stop carrying HM girls without telling them. =( Rawr.
Sure I will get you some pictures.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #152 
Maddybelle

Hey guys! I just updated my Facebook page for this spawn: http://www.facebook.com/MaddysBettaSpawnLog
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #153 
ravenwinds

Hey Maddybelle, sorry about late response....been crazier than usual chasing after my 3yr old (tests her boundaries every few...seconds, LOL! No moss (or algae maybe, to complete analogy with fish terms) growing on her!!

If you still have Walter worm culture (and yes, some vinegar eels would be ok as well :) available, I'd love some! What's your PayPal address? You can PM me if you'd rather.

By the way, what a pretty orange #23 (i think) is!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #154 
Maddybelle

My Paypal is maddy@bmclendon.com. =)

There are quite a few that look just like #23, but he's one of my favorites. That fish just loves the camera!

I just jarred 4 more babies: 3 red/cambos and on that is just now coloring up. Fingers crossed for marble! She has a bit of a swim bladder issue, and is quite bloated, so is in epsom salts to see if she'll recover.

One of the newly jarred cambodians is a very pretty female with 1 ventral. The few girls I got in this spawn have inherited their mother's big ole ovaries! This and their light body color helps to tell who is what gender. =) Still kinda bummed about having 90% males, but next time I'll try incubating the eggs at 81*F instead of 84*F.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 AM   #155 
ravenwinds

Thanks Maddy!
Next Thursday is payday so, if it's ok, I'll send payment to your PayPal thurs or Friday.
Just in time too since I've had 3 small spawns last week, officially 6 and 9 day old fry :)
From Sunset, tricolor blue with yellow & orange CT. X. Royal blue black head CT female; Red (super red)) HM X green metallic HM female.
Ialso have my new turquoise HM X green orchid HM in spawning tank as I type this ;)
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #156 
Maddybelle

Okay raven, but you HAVE to sent me pics of those pairs!! Especially the CTs and the turquoise x orchid pair. =D
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #157 
Maddybelle

Wow, so I've got all my fry cupped now. (Note to self, clean room so I can fit more fish in there! LOL, my bedroom is also my fishroom) In between 25-30 babies, not as impressive as I would have liked.

Unfortunately, I only have one little baby with ventrals that looks decent. All the other pretty ones are ventral-less, and the only other baby with both ventrals isn't that nice. So, I'm probably not going to have anything from this spawn to send to the IBC shows this spring.

I'm reviewing my fry care methods, and planning my next spawn. Due to the lovely toplines, dorsals, and bodies on these babies, and how wonderful the parents were, I'm considering doing a respawn of this pair. Still a bit too early to judge color and finnage, as this spawn is way behind where they should be. I've learned that this is often the case with breeder's first spawns, so I'm not discouraged.

On a happier note, my favorite little male from this spawn, Rawr (#1), decided he was a big boy and is practicing his bubble nesting skills! He's flaring at mom at the moment (she couldn't care less) He's a very nice red with minimal iridescence, and full of personality just like his dad!

I also have a nice little red female with one ventral that looks promising! Definitely one I'm gonna keep my eye on.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #158 
ravenwinds

Okay, okay...I'll get pics up of my spawns...maybe even do a spawn log!

Revision note: my turquoise HM was looking not right. He has sw bladder or infection (of intestines?) and my green/black orchid was so not interested. So, he is in hospital; I have placed her with Sam, one of my other super red HMs.
And my chocolate (brownish black body w/dark orange (reminds me of bittersweet chocolate) is with a clear w/drm red splotches on body and whitish clear fins. They are both HMs...he is a Petco rescue and she is from my 1st spawn ever and her parents were sibling orange dalmations from SmileBetta in Thailand.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #159 
Maddybelle

These guys are still super small for their age. Plus, the growout is having issues with velvet. I'm treating them with Coppersafe, and pulled mom. She's currently in quarantine/conditioning. I'm hoping to breed her with Steve, my grizzle VT boy, to try and begin establishing a pastel DTVT line.

I'd hate to have to cull the entire orange HM spawn, but it looks like that may be where this is headed. The ones in the growout aren't growing, despite water changes, 83* temps, and plentiful nutritious food. The ones that are already jarred are having issues as well. I think that my mistakes during their first few weeks were just too much for them to overcome. All this work, time, and money spent on a spawn full of fish that are pet quality at best - better luck next time, I suppose!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #160 
ravenwinds

That's what I hear, lol! I think anyone who has attempted to breed bettas has seen these issues...and more....remember my spawn by your female's cousin was just as ill-fated...and my first spawn, the orange dalmations, are pet quality ( I didn't know enough about choosing my breeding pairs), at least the ones that my newest cat didn't s@
A: I,Think it has to be more difficult,to be worth something. Bettas are special for many reasons and this is just one more...they might spawn up to 300eggs, but usually less than 100 hatch, and of those, only a handful make it to adulthood!.
I am only now beginning to get a rhytmn with breeding these fish and I still have tons to learn. My mother is always disappointed with # of spawn and breeding difficulties...she's used to livebearers and thinks if the pair don't mate, then the male doesn't "know what he's doing!" LOL! She just doesn't get that bettas are picky in choosing with whom to spawn, that they are as picky as humans and their reproductive drive is just as instinctual.
Right now, we have 4 different spawns, and about 350 fry total...but it took 6mos and numerous pairs with stalled/failed spawns, lost fry to q few different causes when the pair actually mated. All our fry are under 1mos old!

Please don't give up Maddybelle! You have vision and I know you'll be able to accomplish your goals :)

Tags
perry the platypus, was here