Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #1 
kngiraffe

Help!!

So, I went to Wal Mart today and got Jungle, 5-n-1 Test strips that determines pH niatrate nitrite hardness and alkalinity.
Well, I just did one just now picture below is what I got.

My betta is in a 5 gallon tank, with a heater but no filter, just a aerostone bubblier.

what should i do about the alkalinity and the ph?! )):

I used our like spring water/purifier and then I used betta safe that makes tap water safe for bettas. what should i do?! please help me!

Also, he has a little bit of fin rot that he had when I got him on Saturday, what should I do about it/treat it without really messing his immune system up ?
Attached Images

Last edited by kngiraffe; 02-26-2013 at 05:31 PM.
kngiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #2 
Sivan

Hello!

Welcome to the forum. First, I would like to let you know that paper strips are far less accurate than liquid tests. If you can afford one, I recommend buying a master water test kit. They can be pricey but are cheaper in the long run (I've had mine for over a year and will probably have it for much longer) and have better result accuracy.

As for the water you are using, purifying the water is not ideal. Water purifiers remove important minerals that are ideal for Betta splendens. The only "purification" that the fish need is a high quality water conditioner that removes metals, chlorine, and so forth. SeaChem Prime and API Stresscoat are good examples of this. Try changing water using tap water and a proper water conditioner, then test the results again.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #3 
Sivan

As for the fin rot, are you certain it is rot and not biting, tearing, or ripping? A 5 gallon tank should be heater and cycled for optimum (and easier!) care.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #4 
kngiraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
As for the fin rot, are you certain it is rot and not biting, tearing, or ripping? A 5 gallon tank should be heater and cycled for optimum (and easier!) care.
that's his fin. he had it when I got him. and i have a heater in it.
Attached Images

kngiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #5 
Sivan

Has the black spread at all? I would begin by keeping the water extra clean, with some added aquarium salt in order to help prevent infection, and maintaining a regular temperature of 80 degrees. This can help establish quick healing.