Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #21 
Laki

Glad to hear the update!! I would love to see updated pics.

I also love your avatar dane! How old is he/she?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #22 
MLB

he is 1.8 yrs. still a puppy. His name is Bowie. My special little betta is still bitting. I put one of the SAE back for entertainment. This morning a chunk, same shape, was taken out of his tail and my guys still ignoring the other betta much to dumbo's dismay. I just think I got a grump old? Man for a beta.
MLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #23 
MLB

Oops I guess I did not say that I moved my QT w my dumbo betta next to bettas tank. Dumbo keeps trying to interact w betta but betta is more interested in chasing the SAE that I returned to the tank.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #24 
Laki

If you returned an SAE and then noticed a new chunk, you might have a clue as to what's causing it.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #25 
MLB

Yes betta is eating his own tail and any other tail he can get, yes insert any joke u want, it is too easy. What pets do u have? I have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 bettas VT and dumbo, 3 SAE and a green spotted puff. Geez I should have a partridge and a pear tree also to complete the song.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #26 
Sakura8

MLB, welcome to the forum.

First, about SAE: they can get nippy but they are not belligerent and aggressive like CAE. But you will need to upgrade those SAE to at least a 20gal soon because they get about 6" long. Although your upgraded filter will take care of any water quality issues, the bottom line is the SAE will simply run out of room. Also, there is a possibility that what you have aren't the true Siamese Algae Eater but one of the many look-alikes. Take a close look at your SAE. The fins should be clear but the black bar that runs laterally along the body should extend into the tail fin. The scales should be clearly outlined.

This is a Flying Fox, commonly mistaken for a true SAE

This is a true Siamese Algae Eater

My guess is perhaps your SAE are nipping at your betta's tail. I've seen my SAE chase each other and sometimes go after the guppy that is in with them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #27 
MLB

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #28 
MLB

thank you Sakura8 I do have SAE, stipe all of the way into tail fin :)! I do have 110 gallon tank and stand. Still getting other stuff. I got the SAE early because I wanted to learn aquatic plants first and had a huge algae issue until I got the dosing thing correct. It is betta nipping the SAE and himself. As I found out since more tail bitting happened when no other tank mates present and now the SAE that I returned to keep betta entertained, as recommended, now has a chunk out of his tail. I think I have a grumpy betta. So now my VT will have o stay in my 5 gallon planted and my Dumbo will go in my 110 gallon.
I love all of the info I am getting.

Laki I started a new photo album with my other pets if u would like to take a look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #29 
Sakura8

Aww, bummer about the grumpy betta. At least it's not finrot, that's good.

Ah, yes, that's why I got my SAE too, to control the algae when I first started out in my planted tank. Handy little things. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #30 
Laki

I will go take a look! Thanks!