Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #1 
koincidenskis

Problem with temperature

Just a quick question. I currently have a 25 watt heater for my 5.5 gallon tank. It works great when the outside environment (heater for house) is on. I keep my house temperature around 69 degrees F. The tank has no problem reaching 80 degrees in this condition.

However before going to sleep, I turn my heat off to about 60 and I notice that the tank can drop up to 76 degrees. I have to turn my heat off or else the room will become suffocating and dry (I have sinus problems and keeping the heat low at night helps). Not really an option to move the tank anywhere because this is pretty much the same throughout the house.

My main question: Is this temp fluctuating too much so when I do get a betta he/she will be irritable? Is it ok? healthy? normal?

Is there a way to combat this? Maybe putting a towel over the tank at night so the heat won't escape?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
koincidenskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 
mld02004

I have the same issues with my house and have had no problems with the fluctuation for either my betta tanks or my larger tropical fish tank (78ish to 76ish). In the wild, I imagine water gets a bit colder after the sun goes down.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #3 
koincidenskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mld02004 View Post
I have the same issues with my house and have had no problems with the fluctuation for either my betta tanks or my larger tropical fish tank (78ish to 76ish). In the wild, I imagine water gets a bit colder after the sun goes down.
That is what I was thinking. Just concerned if it would be to stressful. Thanks!
koincidenskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

In the wild, fish are free to seek warmer temperatures at night. It's usually warmer under the bank where they sleep. Occasional temperature drops, like after a rain, are easily handled, but a four degree excursion every night is not optimal.

See what happens covering it with a towel. It's a good idea anyway to keep it dark.

My 25W Hagen is more consistent. I'd go with a larger heater if it weren't.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

i have to say, 60 is cold!
haha I usually turn my house up to 80 if I can.

A good heater shouldn't fluctuate. you might have to look into one of those hydor theos. And as hallyx said, i you think the heater's a littler weak, step up to a 50w
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #6 
avraptorhal

Rather than a larger single heater I would recommend a second 25W heater as an safety factor. I'm a safety factor nut!
avraptorhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #7 
callistra

Get a 50w heater. It will keep it warmer. Or a second 25w is ok but will take up a lot of space.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote