Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #1 
lilyth88

Filter Issues...

Hi, everyone. I have some questions.

I have owned 2 of these for quite awhile.

(I'm not sure why 2 of the 3 pictures are of a different tank... I am not talking about the Eclipse one)

The "Tetra Whisper Filter" died in one of them recently, (I was never a fan of it anyway as it tended to vibrate the tank...) so we went to Petsmart to get a new one. Unfortunately, they do not sell the same filter, just the cartridges. As the area allotted for the filter in the lid is pretty thin, our options were very few when looking for a different filter. We picked up this, as it was one of the few that would fit. Unfortunately there is no flow-adjust on this one and it is tossing the heck out of the water. We would prefer not to have to baffle the filter, as (like I said before) there is not that much space to work with in the opening.

Onto the questions...

1. Is there a better filter that would fit in this area? The hole is about 2" Deep x 3.5" Wide

2. Should I just cut my losses with this tank and get a new one? If so, what would people recommend?

3. Would going the NPT route in both tanks circumvent the need for a filter? Is it possible in 3 gallons? Would I need shrimp? Would the LED lights be an issue?

Thanks for any and all help you guys can provide!
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #2 
shellieca

Which tetra whisper filter did it have? I have seen 3i & 10i at my Petsmart & they show both on their website:
http://www.petsmart.com/search/index...otAvailInUS/No
In any case, I recently bought the Crescent 5g & decided on a sponge filter because I think the internal fitlers take up too much room & I didn't want an HOB.
I have planted tanks but they don't qualify as NPT's so can't help with that aspect.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #3 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Which tetra whisper filter did it have? I have seen 3i & 10i at my Petsmart & they show both on their website:
http://www.petsmart.com/search/index...otAvailInUS/No
In any case, I recently bought the Crescent 5g & decided on a sponge filter because I think the internal fitlers take up too much room & I didn't want an HOB.
I have planted tanks but they don't qualify as NPT's so can't help with that aspect.
It was a Mini-Whisper according to the box at my Petsmart. The manager says they don't sell the filter outside of it coming in those sets. We still have a working one in one of the tanks, but I've never liked it as it vibrates the tank a bit.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #4 
KidsCatsBettas

I have that filter, the Marina i25, in my 2.5 gallon tanks. I have no idea if I am sacrificing the quality of the filter by my modifications, but here is what I did. And the filter is cheap enough if I burn it out prematurely. I bought a Fluval U2 filter sponge and sliced it lengthwise to make it thinner. I tied that around the intake at the bottom so the boys' fins don't get stuck. I then cut a chunk of the full-size filter and stuck it in the space where the water flows back into the tank to interrupt the flow. I also have a tall silk plant in front of the filter so that the waterfall gets broken up once it goes beneath the surface. The water definitely still moves through the tanks, but I haven't seen the bettas getting pushed around. They have learned that I drop their pellets in the corners where the flow is almost nonexistent.

Like I said, I have no idea if I'm doing any real harm to the filter. I chose the Fluval U2 sponge because it is very open and seemed like it would restrict the water flow the least.

Hope this helps!
TJ
KidsCatsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #5 
tekkguy

Get you some of this. You can even get it at Wal-Mart, doesn't matter what brand. It's used for stuffing dolls, pillows, etc. DO NOT get the kind that is "mold resistant."

Stuff your filter with this and get rid of the cartridge (or stuff this around the cartridge, especially if your tank is already cycled). It will baffle it internally, and you can stop buying proprietary replacement cartridges.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #6 
lilyth88

Any thoughts on the NPT route? Would LED lights be okay?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #7 
tekkguy

If you have a really heavily planted tank, you can get away without a filter. I wouldn't, but that's just me. Some people swear by no filter in a small planted tank. I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as too much filtration (flow, on the other hand is different).

The LED lights on that tank are very, very low for a planted tank. The tank is small enough that a bright desk lamp with a Daylight CFL bulb would work, though. You could ditch the LED light and just put a desk lamp over it.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I agree with tekkguy on all his suggestions. My 5g and under tanks get by just fine with sponge filters, CFL desklamps and clingfilm.

Many keepers prefer planting their smaller tanks, feeling that a small-tank cycle may be unstable. I disagree, but I respect the knowledge, talent and ability to keep a planted tank. Whether you call it a NPT or just a heavily-planted tank, once the plants are doing all the work and you no longer need a filter, you're into the realm of the planted tank.

There is a section of this forum which specializes in this, with many experienced members to answer your questions and help you along. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/planted-betta-tanks/
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote