Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #11 
LoriKeet

Perseusmom, your advice totally did the trick. I swapped out a gallon with the extra dose of Prime and now the Nitrite is down to .50 ppm. BIG relief. Going to check again tomorrow and then run all the numbers on Wednesday. Hopefully this tank finishes it's cycling dance soon.

Thanks everyone who's been helping me these past few days, I am eternally grateful for all the input. :)
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #12 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Awesome to hear and always so happy to help !!!!
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #13 
LoriKeet

Update:

Today the Nitrite levels are starting to climb again (1ppm, not as bad but still .50 ppm higher than last night).

I have a few questions:

1.) Can I add 5x the dosage of Prime again in a new water change after doing that last night during the last change?

2.) I noticed that the plant in the aquarium is browning a little, is that a symptom of the nitrite levels or part of the cause? I imagine that an ill-fated plant could be one of the things releasing the extra nitrite into the tank.

3.) I feed Luna anywhere from 3 to 5 pellets a day. Do I need to start feeding him less? Will this help with the Nitrite levels?
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #14 
tekkguy

A nitrite spike is normal as you are cycling. This is one of the reasons that fish-in cycling is dangerous. The best thing to do is to keep doing water changes and testing as much as you can to make sure that it doesn't reach fatal levels. Usually, a nitrite spike is the last thing you see before a cycle completes, but fish-in cycles take longer because of the constant water changes.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The plant is not likely suffering from the nitrite; it uses it as food. But, if it's melting, it's releasing ammonia.

I'm glad someone suggested Prime to keep nitrite down. Change until you get that nitrite below 0.25ppm.

Cut back on your feeding. Excess food and resulting feces increase your ammonia which is converted to nitrite.

I'm not convinced that Stability is very effective. I'll watch this thread for further comments by you. Thanks.

The only test bottle that you have to shake is the #2 nitrate test. Pull the dropper part out of the bottle, carefully with pliers, and insert a small bead or gravel. This makes it into a "rattlecan" for easier better mixing.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
level, nitrite, scary, too high