Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #21 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjo View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]

You can see the fluval spec pump and a peice of the rubber tubing that i repurposed. Again this is an older pic.
I REALLY like this idea. The only real problem that I see with it is that the water is going to flow from the path of least resistance - where you have the output from the filter going under that wall, there is a lot of free space. That leads me to believe that the water will mostly be drawn through that hole, through the pump, to the other end of the tank, and that very little water will pass through your filter chamber.

Have you thought about plugging that up a little bit better? Maybe drain the tank, and silicone that entire area? Of course, then you'd have to move the fish for a while. I'd just be concerned about the water movement.

On another forum, a user has plumbed the filter output of the Spec V into an under-gravel filter, basically creating a reverse under gravel filter. Aerates the substrate, and completely kills the flow similar to what you've done here.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #22 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
I'm loving my new Fluval Spec III. Just wanted a place for Spec owners to show off, share their problems, mods, thoughts, and experience with these amazing little all in one tanks. Calling out all Spec owners, where you at?!?!!!
hi,

Do you have a picture of the box with the breakdown of the internal (water section) and external (total footprint) dimensions?
thanks.

Or can you tell me with a response to this post? I am comparing between a SPEC II and a SPEC III
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #23 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
hi,

Do you have a picture of the box with the breakdown of the internal (water section) and external (total footprint) dimensions?
thanks.

Or can you tell me with a response to this post? I am comparing between a SPEC II and a SPEC III

Do you mean this pic of the measurements on the box?

The Spec III is 11.8" high, 8.7" width (left to right), 10.8" deep (front to back)
Total of 3.65 US gallons, but the display area is 2.6 US gallons.

I don't have a Spec II, but I got these measurements off Petsmart:
The Spec II is 10" high, 7.25" width (left to right), 9.25" deep (front to back)

I prefer the Spec III since it was a little bit bigger and the SALE price difference was about $10. I also like the slim LEDs as well.

Hope that helps. LMK if you need any other measurements.
Attached Images

Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:17 AM   #24 
Otterfun

thank, this is perfect... have not started on aquascaping my SPEC II yet and got some coupons form Petco, so thinking of a SPEC III instead for $10 more out the door.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #25 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
thank, this is perfect... have not started on aquascaping my SPEC II yet and got some coupons form Petco, so thinking of a SPEC III instead for $10 more out the door.

Sounds good. Post pics when you are done setting it up!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #26 
nobetta

This is my Fluval spec V dumping photos.

-

-

-

-

Sometimes the betta hangs out but the overflow... bugs me. Does anyone else have this?

comments, concerns, questions, are welcome. Thanks for looking.
nobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #27 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobetta View Post

Sometimes the betta hangs out but the overflow... bugs me. Does anyone else have this?

I like the set up with the rocks/ plants. Are the plants real or fake?

Since your betta is a very nice blue, I think it blends with the black background and the color loses its "pop" factor. Have you thought of using a lighter color background?

My Fred used to love to swim/surf against the outflow currents. Some posts on this board confirms that some SPEC owners have the same "phenomenon".

If it bugs you, try rubber-banding a Fluval pre-filter sponge to the out flow, it will slow down the speed of the current. My amano and snail feeds on the sponge a lot.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #28 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
Sounds good. Post pics when you are done setting it up!
I am agonizing again, the SPEC V is only $2 more than the SPEC III since I missed the Petco sale of $55.49.

I have room, but I was thinking a smaller 2.6g would be nice but then should I use the existing SPEC V as shrimp tank or the new SPEC (III or V)????

I kind of like my betta to have room to roam. But if I have the SPEC III, I can actually placed it next to my reading space in the living room.....

Oh, thanks for offer for SPEC III Light, hold that thought, I might get it. But it will not work with SPEC II because SPEC III & V LED need a mounting bracket on the tank.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #29 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
I am agonizing again, the SPEC V is only $2 more than the SPEC III since I missed the Petco sale of $55.49.

I have room, but I was thinking a smaller 2.6g would be nice but then should I use the existing SPEC V as shrimp tank or the new SPEC (III or V)????

I kind of like my betta to have room to roam. But if I have the SPEC III, I can actually placed it next to my reading space in the living room.....

Oh, thanks for offer for SPEC III Light, hold that thought, I might get it. But it will not work with SPEC II because SPEC III & V LED need a mounting bracket on the tank.
Thats a very tough decision....lol. If I were you, I would buy the Spec III since you already own a Spec V. Have some variety. You can always switch the betta and RCS between tanks if you change your mind. My betta seems perfectly happy roaming about his Spec III. That way you can enjoy a view of your tank while ur reading
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #30 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobetta View Post

Nice aquascaping with the fake plants,rocks and black sand. It's got a very modern contemporary design to it. Are you going to add snails or shrimps?

As with most bettas in the Spec tanks if the current is too strong they get "pushed" towards the overflow area. Do the mod Otterfun recommened and it should help. I've found another easy mod using plumber's tape. I'll describe it in more detail with pics this weekend.

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec