Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #11 
Acalendra

Update: I got some new pics so you can see better. I had to put him in a bowl while I was doing something and decided to get some pictures while I was at it. You can see the trouble area much better now. A water softening pillow is in the filter and I'm looking into order some IALs. Also, I tested the water this morning and the pH is now perfect and the gH is soft. Great water quality in general after putting in the pillow.
I do worry that he bites after you said that :( I feel like I'd see it seeing as I'm at my desk/computer 8-10hrs mon-sat and the aquarium is right next to it. I'm really worried about him.
( I'm thinking about making the aquarium blackwater actually. From what I've researched it shouldn't harm the frogs any. )

Acalendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #12 
Acalendra

I looked at his fins this morning and they just look shredded(caudal fin only). I'm really worried at this point.
:((

UPDATE

Last edited by Acalendra; 02-28-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

You might need to remove the filter for awhile and use some tannins to toughen the fins.

If he is not biting-its most likely the filter or water movement that is shredding the long delicate, heavy fins.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #14 
Acalendra

I'm ordering IALs now and the filter that has been on the lowest setting is now off. I really hope this helps him. Thank you so much for helping out btw. I'm also hoping to get a higher watt heater so I can bump it up higher.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #15 
Acalendra

Before I order them. Will the frogs be okay in blackwater? From what I've researched it shouldn't hurt them but you may say otherwise.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

I have never kept ADF and don't know much about the care, however, I wouldn't think tannins would be an issue.

To bad you don't have any Oak trees...that is what I use-Oak leaves from my Oak trees-naturally dried and fallen from the tree...I love the price...Free...lol...especially since they are 99% the same as IAL and the Betta can't tell the difference between the two...
Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #17 
Acalendra

Quick update. Nothing too new to report. I haven't seen any new tears or im just not noticing them. I think I see a bit of fin regrowth actually and I really hope that's the case. The heater I've been using is too small for the tank and recently broke so I ordered an eheim jager 50w using the express shipping option so it'll get here today. Hopefully finally having the temp in the 79-83 range that hes used to will help his fins.

Also here he is hijacking the frogs picture from this morning

"No don't take pictures of the frog take them of meee"
Old 03-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #18 
soady

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I have never kept ADF and don't know much about the care, however, I wouldn't think tannins would be an issue.

To bad you don't have any Oak trees...that is what I use-Oak leaves from my Oak trees-naturally dried and fallen from the tree...I love the price...Free...lol...especially since they are 99% the same as IAL and the Betta can't tell the difference between the two...
I am sorry if I am off the subject, but I'm interested in how you prepare the leaves and keep it bacteria free? I have an Oak tree and would like to use them the same way you do. Thanks!
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by soady View Post
I am sorry if I am off the subject, but I'm interested in how you prepare the leaves and keep it bacteria free? I have an Oak tree and would like to use them the same way you do. Thanks!
You want the bacteria from the Oak leaf tannins-this is the good stuff-

All I do for my Oak leaves-is to add them either to the tank whole or crushed in a jug to steep. I don't wash my leaves, however, you can-it won't hurt anything-I don't because I have soil based tanks and any dirt on them won't hurt or be noticed....lol....Once the leaves start to break down remove and replace with fresh leaves-Be sure and have the replacement water used for water changes pre-tanned.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #20 
soady

Thank you. :)
soady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, emergency, fin, shredded fins, tears