Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #1 
Haeclark

What are other tank safe items?

So ya, being tight on money and all, and not favoring the sharp edges of many of the neat caves and such, was wondering what other [if any] types of items are fish-safe to place in Beta tanks? Someone recommended to me moss...and saw another use pipes, so got me curious...

Could I use any ceramic or pottery items? [just wondering because if so, have a neat bank that would make a great cave]

what about river rocks, AKA agits? Ya I know you can buy them, but I have a neat collection going of rocks we found at our river swim spot. All diff types. Even found some petrified wood...would that be ok?

They sell glass "rocks" so other glass objects [as long as not sharp] would be safe to, correct? Any types of glass materials I should avoid [besides broken/ sharp stuff ;D ]?

Figure it probably be best if I go plastic at all to just actually buy fish stuff, if I want anything more like that.

Was also thinking of getting him a real plant...anything I should know about tank setup / changes if I decide to get a couple plants? Noticed a bottle of plant stuff at Petco today...would something like that be recomended / needed?
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #2 
Haeclark

what about tiles made from rocks such as granite, etc...know these types are ok...but wanted to make sure still ok as small tile too? Theyre not sharp at all, nor very large.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #3 
mischievouscat

Terra cotta pots are used by many hobbyists as caves. Just be sure to get the unpainted, unglazed kinds and scrub them thoroughly before putting them in your tank. I'd also plug up the little holes in the bottom so that fish don't try to swim through and get stuck.

They're very inexpensive at craft stores. I've got a few in my tank, and the fish love 'em.
mischievouscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:48 AM   #4 
Haeclark

so pottery painted [even if fired] not good then? I figured hand painted wouldn't be good unless fish safe, but wasn't sure about glazed / fired on ceramic / pottery pain? Take it's a no go then for that. Thanks.

what about the other stuff?
Old 09-28-2008, 02:56 AM   #5 
willow

silk plants ?
i use thes alot alongside real plants.
you could make a cave from a used cleaned out coconut.
plastic plant pot from the garden center,or if you have some
in the garden(or from your familys gardens :) )
willow is offline   Reply With Quote