Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #1 
EmptyYourMindBeFormless

Unexpected Adoption- Is He OK? Any Advice Appreciated!

Long story short, I got an unexpected adoption of a veiltail betta from a friend of a friend who was moving.

I signed up here just the other week in anticipation and have been reading everything I can voraciously. Last time I owned a betta was back in 2004 when male veiltails was pretty much all that was available at the LFS (I'm learning the lingo!). I am completely blown away by how far the hobby has come since then. I want one of those dragonscale plakats!!!!

Here is what I know:

- Male veiltail big box pet store purchase around November 2012.

- Kept in a 1/2 gallon unheated bowl; 100% water changes 1-2 times weekly. Certainly underwhelming from the "tank" I was told.

- Offered pellets "usually twice a day".

- No heater or filter. I experimented a bit at my place and found that around this time of year water temp. can dip below 60 degrees F in the morning.

- When I got him, the poor guy looked pretty inactive. He just sat at the bottom of the bowl and sulked. Got some supplies and fixed up an old 2.5 gallon tank I had (an "ultimate sea monkey palace" I never got around to) and purchased a thermometer, small heater, some gravel, etc. Planning on upgrading to perhaps a 5 gallon or so this coming spring.

Housing
What size is your tank?
2.5g

What temperature is your tank?
81-82 degrees F

Does your tank have a filter?
No.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No.

Is your tank heated?
Yes.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Currently on Hikari pellets (planning on switching to NLS once this runs out) and occasional freeze-dried bloodworms.

How often do you feed your fish?
He is fed 4 pellets once daily.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
two changes weekly; one 50% and one 100%.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
See above.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Have some ZooMed betta conditioner left (tiny bottle), but planning on switching to PRIME once that runs out. I purchased an empty amber bottle w. dropper today in anticipation of the switch (2 drops/gallon, IIRC).

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Not yet....in my haste, I forgot to pick up decorations and water testing kit. Will do when I get the chance, likely this weekend.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Haven't really had him long enough to notice any change, though I did notice an uneven flare (one side fully open, the other side like 25% open).

Also, noticed the end of his caudal fin is translucent while there are some markings (almost like streaks?) on his anal fin.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
In the larger enclosure and warm water, he's definitely become more active and isn't afraid to challenge me whenever I approach.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
The flare I noticed when I put him in the larger, warmer enclosure. If it's just an aesthetic variation and not a serious health issue, I will be relieved.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
No, but I do have some freshwater aquarium salt on hand. I also have an 8w heater which I have been testing out in his old 1/2 gallon bowl if I need to make a hospital tank.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Not that I know of, but it was kept in severely inadequate housing for several months (pet store cup for however long and then 1/2 gallon bowl for nearly three months).

How old is your fish (approximately)?
Not sure.

Here are some pics.

As you may or may not see, the entire caudal fin is in-tact, but not all of it is filled in with color. The end is translucent.

Also, with the anal fin, there seem to be some streaks on the bottom half (after the red/blue base).

I couldn't get a decent pic of the uneven flare, unfortunately.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!
EmptyYourMindBeFormless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

HI

Haven't really had him long enough to notice any change, though I did notice an uneven flare (one side fully open, the other side like 25% open).
Not sure about this

Also, noticed the end of his caudal fin is translucent while there are some markings (almost like streaks?) on his anal fin. Some bettas have natural coloring with transparent parts, others may have spots, streaks or even add or loose color (marbling). After a while in a proper home, you may find his fins are coloring up or they may stay transparent. What you want to watch out for is if the fins start to get raggidy looking and the ends have a black outline arund the torn parts.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
In the larger enclosure and warm water, he's definitely become more active and isn't afraid to challenge me whenever I approach. This is good

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
The flare I noticed when I put him in the larger, warmer enclosure. If it's just an aesthetic variation and not a serious health issue, I will be relieved. I'm not sure about this - maybe an infection?

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
No, but I do have some freshwater aquarium salt on hand. I also have an 8w heater which I have been testing out in his old 1/2 gallon bowl if I need to make a hospital tank. Sounds like what he needed most was clean, warm water. If you do use the AQ salt - do not use it for more then 2 weeks as it can cause internal organ failure. Also - avoid bettafix.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Not that I know of, but it was kept in severely inadequate housing for several months (pet store cup for however long and then 1/2 gallon bowl for nearly three months).

How old is your fish (approximately)?
Not sure.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #3 
EmptyYourMindBeFormless

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated.

I suppose at this point I will keep an eye on him and watch for any changes. Not sure if I want to use any salt at this point, or wait a bit to see how things progress. The flare being uneven aside, he is active and an enthusiastic eater so I think he's improving in the new enclosure.

Thanks again.
EmptyYourMindBeFormless is offline   Reply With Quote