Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Help!

So, I am not sure what to do with Neptune. His tail biting seems to have perhaps led to fin rot. There is now a brownish hue along the tears in his tail. He looks to have even eaten off parts of his dorsal fin. I can not get a good picture with my phone (I have a horrible phone) because the shutter will not close fast enough. It is horribly blurry each time. I have aquarium salt, and intend to start treating him tonight with that. My question is 1) how much do I mix with a gallon 2) is it safe to use with my mystery snails in the tank.

Also, should I move him from his 10 g to a 2.5 g until I am done treating him? I am worried about the tail biting if he gets bored. I change his tank around, and he's in a 10 g so I don't know why he bites.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 02-26-2013 at 09:03 PM.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #2 
DoctorWhoLuver

He probably needs to be stimulated. I would exercise him by having flare at a mirror for 2 minutes a day. :)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #3 
callistra

Totally disagree with the mirror. It creates a panic attack physiological response in fish.. flooding adrenals.. it's hard on them.

Is this the same fish?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=129059
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=129063

It sounds like his problem is from lack of clean water. You've got lots of good suggestions back there.. How have you changed yoru water keeping habits? You should have been doing weekly 25-50% changes with siphon and if your tank is less than 2 months old then you are cycling: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #4 
DoctorWhoLuver

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/bett...s-mirrors.html
There are many posts debating this. Personally, my bettas have never shown any signs of stress; my girl's breeding stripes darkened, probably due to the rush of blood.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Yes. That is the same fish. His tank is normally clean. I made that mistake of missing a week, but normally he is cleaned every Sunday. I did several days of small changes after that (about a gallon), for a few days (until Thu), this is the first time since last Thu I am changing the water. I lost my testing kits (they're somewhere in the mess that is my room), but the water is coming up clean when I started cleaning it tonight. Then I noticed his fins, and stopped (I figured I would be moving him anyway). I have set up a 2.5 g hospital tank (with 1 g in it). I mixed in 1 tsp of aquarium salt, and set up the heater. I am waiting for it to get warm to put him into it.

My tank is almost a year old so it isn't cycling.

He never seems too interested in flaring, although he will sometimes. He is a very passive fish.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #6 
DoctorWhoLuver

Sorry I was addressing the fin biting. But yes, Callistra is right with the water.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
Sorry I was addressing the fin biting. But yes, Callistra is right with the water.
I understood you were talking about the fin biting.

I do not think the water is the problem right now. I had a week where I missed a Sunday change. I change the water every Sunday. When I changed the water the next time it was very bad. I am assuming it was because the 2 snails I have added. I did not intend to add 2 snails, but circumstances ended up that way. This was last week though, so he could still be recovering from that missed water change. My intention is to do 100% changes each day until he goes back into his 10 g (once he starts to regrow his tail), and at that time resume a change schedule with him that I am working on switching to (Sunday and Wednesday).
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #8 
Sivan

What kind of snails are they? Mystery snails (which are properly called apple snails) release high amounts of ammonia. How large is your tank? Is it cycled?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #9 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
What kind of snails are they? Mystery snails (which are properly called apple snails) release high amounts of ammonia. How large is your tank? Is it cycled?
They are mystery snails. It is a 10 g. I do know they cause water problems. I had only intended to have one in the tank because of that. It is a long story how two ended up in there. But they are both in there now. I added the second snail the week before I missed the water change. The water "issue" happened on the 16th or 17th. The water is fine now. That is not the problem, although it could have been the cause (I do know that). The problem is he has brownish (maybe redish it is hard to tell because he's cellophane) along the tears in his tail. It is not on his dorsal yet, which appears to be partly eaten off. He is a fin biter, and I have tried to stop that with no success. He has never snacked on his dorsal before.

He is in the hospital tank. He is no longer in the 10 g with the snails. He is in the 2.5 g (which only has 1 g in it), with 1 tsp of aquarium salt that was mixed and dissolved in a cup prior to adding it to the water. The tank is heated, but has no temp control so I am not sure the exact temp. It feels about the same as Eponine's tank which is at 79 degrees. My plan is to do 100% changes every day, treat with salt for 10 days (1 tsp per g), and water for regrowth. Does that sound like a good plan to treat this?