Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #8521 
Kiara1125

Bettas in a larger tank sometimes don't need a filter if there's enough beneficial bacteria and oxygen/water circulation in the tank. As for this tank, it appears that there's a filter. Look at the top right corner of the first picture. It looks like they have a hood with a filter attached. There might not be a heater due to where they live. My boyfriend doesn't use heaters with his tanks because they stay in the high 70s to low-mid 80s due to where he lives. There don't have to be plants at the top of the tank. Why would there be a need for that, might I ask? My bettas have the ability to rest at the top, but the never use it. I even have different plants and it does nothing.

Also, I think a name that describes his dark color would be good. I think Luke would be good for him or something like that. :)
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #8522 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Bettas in a larger tank sometimes don't need a filter if there's enough beneficial bacteria and oxygen/water circulation in the tank. As for this tank, it appears that there's a filter. Look at the top right corner of the first picture. It looks like they have a hood with a filter attached. There might not be a heater due to where they live. My boyfriend doesn't use heaters with his tanks because they stay in the high 70s to low-mid 80s due to where he lives. There don't have to be plants at the top of the tank. Why would there be a need for that, might I ask? My bettas have the ability to rest at the top, but the never use it. I even have different plants and it does nothing.

Also, I think a name that describes his dark color would be good. I think Luke would be good for him or something like that. :)
This is good and all, but it's obvious that this tank is new without any real plants. I have plastic plants just like that; same look and everything. Besides, if they were real, I highly doubt that the grass would be the exact same height/bunches/blade count everywhere. A heater is advised to keep a stable temperature, but even so, I asked as a basic question. Stability is much more important than simply being in range. Also, I believe I see the filter now, though some tank filters are notorious for being too powerful, and owners shut them off more often than not. With this being said, BB won't be present, and a filter/heater is still needed. Also, with a tank that size, heat distribution is harder to heat without a heater. As we all know, heat rises, so I'm willing to bet that even inside of a 79* room, the water is chillier inside the tank and the lower half of the water is chiller even still.

I agree with the name thing!!!
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #8523 
Kiara1125

Well, the tanks are always warm in FL. My tanks need heaters during the winter. Temperature doesn't change much. Also, you don't know that the tank is new or that the plants are fake. Someone thought that I had fake plants when they were actually real. I had several that all looked the same and were so close to looking fake. I'd say it's hard to tell about "obvious" things in a tank. People spend hours trying to get their tanks to be "perfect". They will plant plants in the way that suits them best. I think it'd be insulting to have someone call your tank new and fake if they spent a long time on it and have had it a while. Regardless, I do agree that the plants are fake. I can see the base of one in a picture and you can tell that it's all rooted together.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #8524 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm pretty sure that a filter is needed to keep a tank cycled. Nit too sure about the heater, though.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #8525 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'm pretty sure that a filter is needed to keep a tank cycled. Nit too sure about the heater, though.
No. Beneficial bacteria can live on gravel, plants, tank wall, basically anything. The only thing filters do is add more space for BB to grow on, provides water circulation and oxygenation, and it sucks up waste and other debris in the tank and traps it inside the filter as food for the bacteria.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #8526 
royal

Really like your tank!
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #8527 
Kwomais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
People spend hours trying to get their tanks to be "perfect". They will plant plants in the way that suits them best. I think it'd be insulting to have someone call your tank new and fake if they spent a long time on it and have had it a while.
It's funny that you say that people who have worked hard on getting their plants to look a certain way would be offended if someone called them fake (or at least that you would); I would be thrilled! It's a compliment that the plants look prefect enough to be thought to be fake! It means you achieved your goal of perfection!

Thank being said, nice tanks everyone! I *love* keeping an eye on this thread!
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #8528 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwomais View Post
It's funny that you say that people who have worked hard on getting their plants to look a certain way would be offended if someone called them fake (or at least that you would); I would be thrilled! It's a compliment that the plants look prefect enough to be thought to be fake! It means you achieved your goal of perfection!

Thank being said, nice tanks everyone! I *love* keeping an eye on this thread!
Well, I just don't like the way that fake plants look. My current tanks have algae on them constantly and the plants are everywhere. It looks natural and that's how I like it. I don't like using fake things in my tanks. If anything, I have a log cave and terra cotta pots. My opinion is that the natural tanks look better rather then the perfect, pristine tanks that a lot of people love. They look too shiny and artificial. I don't like it. I like the natural perfection that nature has provide d for us. A beauty that cannot be mimicked or tamed. Nature is perfect.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #8529 
Kwomais

I guess I should show you my tank then lol! I agree that nature is better. My tank is an NPT with black gravel covered with a scattering of rocks that I've collected from around the world. My cave is made of some of those same rocks. I think the most artificial thing in my tank is the swim-through rock that I'm attempting to carpet with moss so that you can't see it's "natural" colours. I'm also patiently waiting for my back wall to algae up. Seems that the other ones are gaining it faster (probably because I want them clear hahaha). (Please excuse the mediocre picture)

Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #8530 
Kiara1125

That looks beautiful! I'm obsessed with rotala rotundifolia. xD

(Breeder net was for a healing male betta so he wouldn't get in with my plakat male [by the fry])

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank