Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #11 
Kaley2013

Petco sells pandas for $7 each.. I can't afford all 5 right now. Should I get them in pairs over a few weeks or just wait? Also, the danios have calmed down a lot today, they aren't as much ADHD, but Saturn still seems stressed to me, though he doesn't have stress stripes or anything. He is just swimming in a circle across the back for the tank.

Last edited by Kaley2013; 02-26-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Kaley2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

I would buy them in a three, then a pair, if you can afford that. :) That way you won't cause too large a spike, but you won't have super-stressed fish. Do be careful when transporting pandas - when they are stressed, they release a toxin into the water, which builds up quickly in the confines of a plastic bag. Try to keep the bag as dark and still as possible, and start acclimatising them the second they get home. :)

Yeah...your betta may adjust to the zebras eventually, but it still isn't ideal for any of them. I think you've made the right decision in considering rehoming/returning them. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #13 
Kaley2013

It's gonna be really hard to rehome my danios. I live in a small hicktown in southwest Kentucky. Nobody around here keeps fish. I don't know what to do with them, because if I can't take them back to Petco, they may have nowhere else to go. What should I do?
Kaley2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #14 
soady

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorndeer View Post
i dont think that you shoud put tetars in whith a betta
I have 6 neon tetras with my bettas. The male chases them sometimes but it is impossible for him to catch them. I think tetras are good tank mates for a betta because they stay low and the betta stays near the surface.

When I feed my betta I crush some flakes with his food so they fall down for tetras to eat. They will eat everything that is falling down if you crush it nicely and don't put too much.

I have an 8gal tank with male and female divided with a piece of wood and a safe net through which tetras can go through. They prefer to stay with the male even though he chases them occasionally.

Just wanted to share my experience. :)
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #15 
Kwomais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaley2013 View Post
It's gonna be really hard to rehome my danios. I live in a small hicktown in southwest Kentucky. Nobody around here keeps fish. I don't know what to do with them, because if I can't take them back to Petco, they may have nowhere else to go. What should I do?
If they store clerk says "no", ask to speak with the manager, and see if they will accept the danios as a return for store credit or as a trade towards the cost of the cories. Any sales manager worth their salt will accept one of these offers because it means that you will return as a customer and likely refer others to them.
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

If they won't let you, however, it will be a matter of making life as comfortable for your current fish as possible - adding lots of tall plants to give your betta shelter, giving him a cave to hide in, making the tank interesting for the danios to zoom through...or getting a bigger tank! :p

In future, make sure you research before you make the purchase so you aren't faced with this kind of situation again. :)
Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #17 
trilobite

I had golden barbs and rummy noses with mine with no problem. They all kept to their own business
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #18 
Bombalurina

Barbs are always a risk with a betta as they can be pretty nippy. Definitely not a combination I'd recommend, especially in the tank size that the OP has.

Tags
male betta zebra danios