Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #1 
JayPe3

Tank mates

Alright, I know this has been asked over and over, and I've been reading the stickies over and over, but there's no actual info on what the best compatibilities are.

Birdee is a younger (not exact sure on age, but he has grown since I got him)
multi-color veiltail. He was recently (yesterday) moved into a 15 GAL tank. It's a lot of space for him to be by himself, so I would like to put some "buddies" in with him.
What would be the "safest" choices?
I'm not worried about Birdee killing/eating another fish, I'm worried about another fish killing/eating Birdee. If that makes sense.
I'm thinking a Dwarf Frog, or some kind of shrimp. Would rather not have snails.
Maybe a small school of something, like tiger barbs?
Sorry for the repetitive questioning, thanks for the help.
JayPe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Yay on the upgrade! :)

Big big no to tiger barbs. They are active, nippy and aggressive.

What are your water parameters (hardness and ph)? This will determine which fish will live happily in your tank :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #3 
JayPe3

It's water, so.. It's wet.. and warm, lol.

Not sure, i'll have to get some pH paper to answer those questions.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #4 
Rosalina

I have corydoras with my betta, they like to be in a group and require 10gals or more. If you get them, try to get 3 or 4 of the same kind so they can school, they are really entertaining.

When introducing them, be careful. I took out my betta, re-arranged all the decor and changed the water in the tank. I then put the cories in first let them get situated, and then put the betta in. This makes the betta think that he is in a different territory.

My betta doesn't mind them at all, which I find weird since he tried to eat the snails I got. (One snail floated (which happens, they are still alive) then he tried to take a bite.) Once the snail got bit, it never came out of it's shell, and if it did my betta would nip at its feelers. It eventually died..

African dwarf frogs are so cute, but I talked to someone and they told me that if you get them and you have hiding spots in your tank, you will never see them again. Another person at petsmart told me they are very picky eaters and they had to feed them through a turkey baster type thing because they wont come out for food and their sight is very bad.

I recommend Corydoras. I was surprised how well my betta got along with them. He flared at first, and chased, but cories are very fast and he gave up quickly and now doesn't mind them at all, they'll even swim right into him and he wont care. They are also very entertaining and my albino cories are very very active.
Rosalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPe3 View Post
It's water, so.. It's wet.. and warm, lol.

Not sure, i'll have to get some pH paper to answer those questions.
Yep, that's pretty much water. :p

pH strips can be inaccurate - liquid tests are much better. The API master kit is great. However, another way to do it is contact (or google) your local water authority, who should be able to tell you the hardness and pH of your local water. :)

From memory, cories like water on the soft side with a lower pH.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #6 
JayPe3

Considering the LFS I go to is close to my home, the waters levels won't be too drastic.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Remember that pet shops fill their water with a bunch of stuff, though, because they have to keep fish with a wide variety of needs in water from the same source that runs through the same filter, so their fish have to make do with much softer or harder water than they normally need, generally with a neutral pH. So, whilst my local shop uses the same source water that I do (very soft, low pH) they fill it with conditioners to make it only slightly soft with a neutral pH. Thus my levels are very different to the levels of the shop. :)
Old 03-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #8 
JayPe3

What do you guys think about red finned sharks?
They're a scavenger, so they should be rather docile and do well on the bottom of Birdees tank. Opinion?

I introduced one of the ghost shrimp from my sons tank to Birdee yesterday with a sandwich bag. Birdee bumped the bag a couple times, then left it alone. Didn't flare at all. After about an hour I let the shrimp into the tank, and Birdee didn't really bother with him. The shrimp just went to the drift wood.
I haven't seen it at all today though, but this shrimp disapeared in my sons tank and I only found it because I cleaned it and moved some of the decorations around, so he's a good hider.
Birdee hasn't gotten fat/bloated, so I don't think he ate him.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #9 
nicolaas

Hi.

Rainbow(red fined)sharks are not docile and it will most likely kill your betta they are very aggressive.

Otos should be good tank mates.

Get slow mowing fish that won't stress your betta.

Nicolaas.
Posted via Mobile Device
nicolaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Also, sharks shouldn't be in less than a 55gal because they need schools and grow enormous.