Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #11 
soady

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
The 6.6 has so much potential, what other plabts are you going to put in there?

One more thing about bamboos that I hope will be permitted ;)
Personally I don't like how bamboo looks in planted tanks XD, Only once did I see a bamboo tank I thought was cool. It was this zen themed tank planted with lots and lots of bamboo, like a bamboo forest :D.

I loved that zen themed tank, too! :D And sorry, OP, I just wanted to say that bamboo can be used even though it is not full aquatic. :)
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #12 
leahleigh

It's okay, I just get it from all ends no matter what I say. It gets frustrating, sorry if I seemed rude, I don't mean to be.

Good news, I get paid friday! I'll see what I can spare so maybe I can go plant hunting. :) Will update on Saturday.
leahleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #13 
leahleigh

Sorry about the quality, forgot I had flash on and too lazy to take a better picture. :P
Alright, so I got home and Dimitri has about five more scales missing, i'm assuming from the drift wood because nothing else can really ding him up. The water was tinting orange from the tannin's the drift wood was leaking (idk, i boiled it for three days and soaked it for two more, oh well i guess!), and while I know they aren't bad I hate my water being that orange without my consent lol! The water was also slow moving (expected, i baffled it), and stagnant to the right side of the tank. Dug up two old things of mine, an old piece of rock and an even older bubbler. I had to rig it to blow less bubbles with duct tape and some piece of wire. Used this old rock in my moms 20 gallon community tank, but I broke it because it was too big. It didn't break the way I wanted it to but it serves the purpose I wanted. Finally got to tie my Java Fern to something! Yay.

Mr. Snail is still traveling fast and loving every minute of it. When I get paid tomorrow i'll probably venture out and get some calcium tablets and get my water tested. Again, this is probably a temporary set up until I get things I really want. I like it a lot better though, and Dimitri seems to too.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #14 
soady

Looks great! You could put some floating plants around the filter.

And what about your snail? I got one Helena snail, really small, and today I see it grew in size a lot! It freaked me out! haha Is that okay?
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #15 
leahleigh

Yeah, definitely want some duck weed and other floating plants like that. The filter is fine now, but I don't like stagnant or even semi-stagnant water.

The bubbler made things a lot better and something I planned to do anyway. My snail is just a golden apple/mystery snail. They get really big and I used to "raise" them. They were what I got into before bettas. c: And i've never heard of that kind of snail, so idk! Google? :)
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #16 
LittleWatty

Nice tank! :D Glad it arrived safely and in one piece. I loved the look of that driftwood, but the tank almost looks better without it.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #17 
leahleigh

Thanks, LittleWatty! I really, really love it. It's coming along so great. For some reason the water keeps getting stained with Tannins but I think it might be leaking from the rock when I broke it. Not sure yet, will investigate later.

Unfortunately I fell in love at Petco, and came home with another fish. His name is Garth. He's a HMPK according to Petco, but i'm unsure, any ideas? I think he is, but just checking! :) I also HOPE HOPE HOPE he's a marble, I saw him in there last week and he had a bit less white. He also has a metallicy-pink sheen to him that isn't really noticeable on camera.

Here's Garth's temporary home until the 6.6 gets more plants and divided.

These are the plants I picked up today, along with two little hitch hikers (well five, but squashed three), which I decided to put them in the 6.6. I figure if they survive, good for them, i'll take care of and feed them just like I do my Apple Snail. If not that's okay too. Hopefully they won't get sucked up in the siphon, but oh well if they do. Also need some help identifying two plants.

This I know is Anacharis (how do you pronounce that?! xD), and is it okay if it free floats for now? I can plant it, i'd just rather not. Is this a low-medium light plant?

WEE BANANA PLANT c:

Two in question:
and

And what are those two light requirements? I plan on getting a 6500k light bulb soon, just have to wait until next week. Also need to know if I have to put a light on Garth's little tank. :P
Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #18 
leahleigh

Oh, and I almost forgot, an updated shot of the 6.6!

Dimitri's fins are a little torn around the edges, will keep an eye out on it to see if it gets worse. Don't know how he could have done that. Flipped the pot just in case, now there really aren't any edges to get him tangled in. :)

Oh yeah, and I ordered some java moss/peacock moss/mixture from a friend in NY. Going to tie it to the flat side of that big rock. Maybe even a little bit on a smaller rock and add it to Garth's for the time being.

Speaking of Garth, anyone know his specific color, other than white? :D

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for all the answers!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #19 
LittleWatty

I'm guessing the plants are Moneywort/Pennywort (not sure if there's a difference) for the round leafed one. Its supposed to be a relatively easy plant to care for, minimum light requirements, but I never had luck with it. Microsword is my guess for the grassy-like one, which (if I remember right) needs med-high light. It does better in sandy substrate like other carpet plants.

No idea on Garth, other than he looks like a HMPK to me!
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #20 
leahleigh

Pennywort is correct. I googled it, and from the looks it's going to be a great match for my tank.

Not too sure that the microsword will survive long, but I hope so considering I payed 7 dollars for it, lol!
It likes high light with fertilizer, which won't really BE a problem, just getting some liquid fertilizer will be tricky. I think the eco-complete will suffice it for now, even if it's not what it prefers substrate wise.

Will update in a week or sooner if something happens. :)

Tags
6.6, 6.6 gallon, planted