Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #1 
Leigh98

New member looking for advice

I am brand new and have just set up my first tank, no fish yet...

I have received some advice such as some taller plants, and maybe a hammock, my son is printing me a background for the back of the tank, just wondering if anyone would look over my set up and give me any advice?

I am planning to add a few tropical fish first, then my Betta a week or so later, can anyone give me any advice on on the best kinds to co exist with a male Betta?

This is my tank thus far:

Leigh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #2 
KnzD

So far it seems good! You have a heater and a filter which is definitely a must for a tank of your size; judging by your picture I am guessing that it is anywhere from 10 - 25 gallons (am I right?).
You have a lot of substrate (gravel in your case) in your tank. I would suggest to take some out as it will get annoying to clean that much. It also makes it harder for your filter to draw the impurities.
The decorations seem fine but just make sure that they don't contain any exposed metal parts that could rust and potentially poison your fish. I would also suggest adding a few more plants to your aquarium just to give your fish more places to hide and swim around. Silk plants are the best as they are less likely to accidentally injure your fish as well as being more "life-like" in their movement and look.

Other than that it looks like a great start! I hope you and your son have fun with your new aquarium!

*Was the boat going to cross the bridge? I must know!
KnzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #3 
Leigh98

The boat hit the bridge lol

And I am going to get a couple bigger plants, I want real plants but am so green I'm a tad intimidated, will add them in later..

It's a 10 gallon! Great guess!

I never considered the gravel, I'll take some out for sure...

Any advice on a good fish to add Pre Betta that they will do ok with? I love neon tetras but am told they are a no no...
Leigh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #4 
creame172

Whatever types of fish you do get to go with your betta, make sure they are slow-swimming, lazy types. i tried to put a betta with my danios and they are so hyper they tore his fins up! i think the more plants and hiding places, the better off(bc your betta will have places to hide from hyper fish). i would think getting a plant/etc that will float might be good since the betta will need to get to air. they make betta logs that float. they make those leaf perches for bettas too but some if not all have a metal piece in the stem that you should take out. you probably already know not to block off the surface of the water with too many obstacles though, or your betta might not be able to get to air.
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #5 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh98 View Post
The boat hit the bridge lol

And I am going to get a couple bigger plants, I want real plants but am so green I'm a tad intimidated, will add them in later..

It's a 10 gallon! Great guess!

I never considered the gravel, I'll take some out for sure...

Any advice on a good fish to add Pre Betta that they will do ok with? I love neon tetras but am told they are a no no...
neon tetras are more hyper. they sell betta plant bulbs at the pet stores. i bought some only yesterday and they are already growing roots. idk how tall they get i'll have to wait and see. :)
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

Neons aren't nearly as crazy as danios.

Before you add any fish, make sure the tank is cycled (takes about six weeks). Another important thing to do is to find out what your pH and water hardness are. You can either use a liquid test kit (strips are generally inaccurate) or contact your local water authority. The reason it is important to know this is that some fish are not tolerant of hard water (e.g. tetras prefer soft water) whilst others thrive in it (such as livebearers). Once you know that information, you'll know what species will work in your tank. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote