Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #11 
Bombalurina

6. Ideally, though, they should have at least a 20gal/2ft tank.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #12 
sandrac8388

I didn't know about the size of tank honestly. So now I have 5 in a ten and another 5 in a 7.5 gallon. I will try to sell them but just in case I can't can I put all 10 in the 10 gallon. It's not "ideal" I know but for now I guess.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #13 
sandrac8388

Ok guys thank you all for your help. i really do appreciate it! Now i have one last question and that is it!!! lol (I will find a home for the danios)

I have 3- 7.5 gallon tanks all planted and filtered, and heated. I have one betta in each. I plan on placing one nerite snail in each as well. I would like to place another algae eater in there. Any suggestions? I know i'm a little limited so if there isn't any than oh well I will just get 3 nerites for each. :)

I will also have a empty 10 gallon tank and have no idea what to put in there!!! Sorority??? IDK!!!! lol I might just tear it down
Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #14 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrac8388 View Post
I have 3- 7.5 gallon tanks all planted and filtered, and heated. I have one betta in each. I plan on placing one nerite snail in each as well. I would like to place another algae eater in there. Any suggestions? I know i'm a little limited so if there isn't any than oh well I will just get 3 nerites for each. :)
Amano shrimp! These guys are algae eating machines. Not to mention leftover food. http://www.aquabotanic.com/?p=807
Though many bettas see shrimp as food, so it might require a test run. Then again, many bettas see snails as food, too...
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

+1 on the shrimp. Very cute and fun to watch. I prefer cherries, but they aren't nearly so good at algae eating as amanos.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #16 
sandrac8388

I will go with amanos!! yay! thanks so much guys..How do you pick out the healthy ones? I will be getting 3 for each tank!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #17 
ashleigheperry

I personally wouldn't put more than six danios in the tank with your betta. They need lots of swimming space!

I currently have three albino cory catfish (I adore them, though they should probably be in groups of at least five if space permits - they're adorable and they stay small), three zebra danios, and a betta in my ten gallon and to be perfectly honest, it is a bit crowded. Ten inches of fish or less is usually what I would recommend for a ten gallon (3in. for your betta and 2in. per danio).

Shrimp are wonderful though! I love ghost shrimp for the novelty, but cherries are my favorite.
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #18 
Bombalurina

Asliegheperry - the one inch per gallon rule is not a good one to go by. It is inaccurate for a whole bunch of reasons. Your danios really should be in a school of 6+. :)

As for choosing healthy shrimp, go for those that are responsive, not missing limbs and appear to be eating well, if food is around. It's a bit harder with shrimp than with fish!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #19 
ashleigheperry

With this kind of fish and this size it's relatively appropriate. I was using it in this scenario. I've kept fish for years and using the inch per gallon method is usually completely wrong (can you imagine a 12in. fish in a 12G tank?!) but with small schooling fish and a small tank it's usually relatively safe to reference, as long as the fish are less than three inches and that is their adult size. Typically though, I agree, there are so many factors that make it a terrible method.

Between five and six is the minimum number of danios you should have in a single tank, yes. They get lonely and bored when there's only a couple. Mine are currently awaiting their four new school members that only have a week left of their quarantine. (:

But I'd like to emphasize the importance of choosing healthy-looking shrimp! They don't show illness as readily as fish, so be careful. And don't forget to quarantine.
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote