Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #1 
otter

Everyone is getting mysterious unbeatable illnesses at the same time! Help?

Hello fellow aquarium hobbyists

My fish aren’t doing so well and I was wondering if any of you have some suggestions for me.

Basically, my betta are suffering because I am an amateur aquarist and I have no idea how to treat them of their illnesses for good

#1 sick fish: Moon, Male halfmoon betta, 10 gallon filtered, heated and cycled tank, divided with 3 fancy guppies. ……….. He was my “experiment fish” I got him a few years ago when I had no idea how to care for fish. He was living in a 4 gallon vase that’s water was changed every few weeks… not heated. He went through a rough time, but I moved him into a divided 10 gallon with another male betta. This other male betta had hemorrhagic septicemia, and after being in the same tank as him for a while, Moon developed fin rot, so I treated him with salt and kanaplex, and it got a bit better but then he started tail biting, so I put him back into the 10 gallon, now split with guppies and his tail biting stopped. Now he has this weird growth/tumor thing on his anal fin. It is greyish brown, and the fin below the growth has decayed away. AHHHH so frustrating What should I do about this? I already have a ton of sick fish, so I’m swamped.

#2 sick fish: betta sorority: 5 female betta, 20 gallon tank and a lonely cory catfish that is missing an eye.

The female betta all have slight cloudy eye that has followed them through a few different tanks and treatments!! I’m not sure what to do about this.. I have tried various anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and AQ salt treatments, but it never goes away completely.

One of them is bloated, clamping and not eating. I treated her with epsom salt, but it did nothing. Not pine coning.

Another has fin rot that will not go away! I have treated her multiple times with salt and kanaplex, but she keeps on jumping out of her QT tank, though she has been treated for a while and It should have gone away by now.

I change 20% of the water weekly and add stress coat+ to all of these tanks.

I can check parameters if needed, though the nitrates levels are low and the tanks are cycled. The PH is about 7-8, which is a little high, but I can’t lower it. My tap water has a PH of 10.

help me please?
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #2 
monica12980

Another has fin rot that will not go away! I have treated her multiple times with salt and kanaplex, but she keeps on jumping out of her QT tank, though she has been treated for a while and It should have gone away by now.

are you using the right medicine? fin rot is very annoying. OR IS IT FIN ROT? two of my male bettas died to something i thought was fin rot, but wasn't. a dot at the end of the tail. died(the fish) before it got anywhere(the dot)
monica12980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #3 
otter

It looks like fin rot... black around the edges and slowly disappearing.. D:
I've tried a ton of stuff!!
I will just have to try again... it's so annoying though because she keeps on jumping out of the QT.. even when I cover it with tape.. she gets out through the cracks. GAH!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Do any happen to look anything like this?- http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

Fill this out-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #5 
otter

Hmmm.... The coloring is very similar... though it is kind of decayed looking around the "tumor" and he's been this way for a while... not 12-24 hours. I don't think it's that.
I should probably treat him with some anti bacterial.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal divided
What temperature is your tank? ~78-80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 male guppies (divided)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta pellets & bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: ehh.... not very high.. I forget the exact number
pH:7.9-8.5
Hardness: 0
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Odd looking grey tumor on anal fin.. grey around area and decay around the bottom of the tumor.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No... Though I may start with an anti bacterial of some sort
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes.. fin rot and fin biting that has lead to more fin rot -__-
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 years