Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #16771 
LittleBettaFish

Haha my dad is banned from taking me to any fish related events. We are extremely close and hang out a lot together, but God he talks so loudly and just seems to relish in embarrassing me.

We go to a fish shop and he walks around very loudly asking things like, "What is this fish, how come it's so expensive when it is so small, and why can't we add more goldfish to your tank?"

Then we went to a fish auction and he whispered loudly the whole time about whether that was a good price for a fish and if we got it could we sell it for profit.

He just does it on purpose I swear because he knows how freaked out and anxious I get in public places.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #16772 
Sparrowhawk

Oh man, that would suck!

Luckily I haven't had to endure trips to fish shops with my father (well, not since last year anyway) but lately he's been harping on about how he wants to set up a community tank once he's done building a home for the budgies he wants. *facepalm* He is not a good listener, so trying to explain the necessities for that kind of thing is near impossible. I've resolved to compile a folder of print-outs to read so I don't have to endure the interruptions, hahaha.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #16773 
Hadoken Kitty

If it means anything, I wish my father would act more interested in my hobbies. lol
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #16774 
Sparrowhawk

Sorry to abruptly change the subject, but I'm feeling particularly ranty after reading a couple of blog posts. This hasn't happened to me today, but it's happened often enough for me to get enraged when I see others really upset by the same thing happening to them, even if I don't know them, I know that feeling.

I am plus-sized. I'm not obese, I'm not even particularly fat, but I do fall into that gap between "normal" and "proper plus-size" clothing sizes in ladies wear. In tops, generally a medium or large is perfect, but for bottoms I either have to get the largest size or move into plus size. My body's weird like that, apparently hourglass shapes don't exist in the clothing design world.

Anyway! Despite the fact that I may not be able to buy jeans at your shop, you have no right to look at me disapprovingly, or sometimes in a disgusted manner. You most certainly do not need to walk up to me, smirk and say, "We don't carry your size here" and move to usher me out of the store. I'm perfectly capable of determining whether or not a garment will fit me, I have a pretty good eye for that. Having a fat person in your shop is not going to scare away customers, just leave me the heck alone.

As for friends and acquaintances (IRL that is, not online)... I don't need your "encouraging" remarks when I mention that I have recently purchased exercise equipment. I am aware that losing a few kilos could help both my spine and my self-esteem, that's why I'm doing it -- that, and I just felt so darn good when I was fitter. I don't need to be given tips on how I can lose more weight, faster. I'm aware of how my body responds to different weight loss methods, which ones work and which ones don't. Continued harassment on the topic is not going to change the way my body works, no matter how long you bug me about what's on my plate.

Believe me, I got this. I might look like a blob, though a somewhat attractive, definitely voluptuous one, and I am aware of the way I look. I've got these things called mirrors in almost every room of my house, and they enable me to see myself in all my full, disgustingly flabby glory (as you seem to see it). I know how much I weigh, what size I am, and how I look. I do not need to be told every time you see me. I'm taking care of it, and I'm doing it slowly, so I don't get "skin bags" like one of these weight-loss-obsessed friends has from losing too much, too quickly.

Please, take your minds and go do something productive with them. Preaching about weight loss isn't helping anyone, unless your aim is to kill motivation and keep that fat friend so you can feel better about yourself. News flash: there isn't much to feel good about if you need to resort to those measures.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #16775 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk View Post
sorry to abruptly change the subject, but i'm feeling particularly ranty after reading a couple of blog posts. This hasn't happened to me today, but it's happened often enough for me to get enraged when i see others really upset by the same thing happening to them, even if i don't know them, i know that feeling.

I am plus-sized. I'm not obese, i'm not even particularly fat, but i do fall into that gap between "normal" and "proper plus-size" clothing sizes in ladies wear. In tops, generally a medium or large is perfect, but for bottoms i either have to get the largest size or move into plus size. My body's weird like that, apparently hourglass shapes don't exist in the clothing design world.

Anyway! Despite the fact that i may not be able to buy jeans at your shop, you have no right to look at me disapprovingly, or sometimes in a disgusted manner. You most certainly do not need to walk up to me, smirk and say, "we don't carry your size here" and move to usher me out of the store. I'm perfectly capable of determining whether or not a garment will fit me, i have a pretty good eye for that. Having a fat person in your shop is not going to scare away customers, just leave me the heck alone.

As for friends and acquaintances (irl that is, not online)... I don't need your "encouraging" remarks when i mention that i have recently purchased exercise equipment. I am aware that losing a few kilos could help both my spine and my self-esteem, that's why i'm doing it -- that, and i just felt so darn good when i was fitter. I don't need to be given tips on how i can lose more weight, faster. I'm aware of how my body responds to different weight loss methods, which ones work and which ones don't. Continued harassment on the topic is not going to change the way my body works, no matter how long you bug me about what's on my plate.

Believe me, i got this. I might look like a blob, though a somewhat attractive, definitely voluptuous one, and i am aware of the way i look. I've got these things called mirrors in almost every room of my house, and they enable me to see myself in all my full, disgustingly flabby glory (as you seem to see it). I know how much i weigh, what size i am, and how i look. I do not need to be told every time you see me. I'm taking care of it, and i'm doing it slowly, so i don't get "skin bags" like one of these weight-loss-obsessed friends has from losing too much, too quickly.

Please, take your minds and go do something productive with them. Preaching about weight loss isn't helping anyone, unless your aim is to kill motivation and keep that fat friend so you can feel better about yourself. News flash: There isn't much to feel good about if you need to resort to those measures.
amen!
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #16776 
BettaHeart

+1 ^^^^^^
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #16777 
ThePearlFish

Rant- I slept way too long today and now I am worried I don't have enough time to study for exam tomorrow.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #16778 
Bombalurina

Sparrrow, I hear you on the hourglass thing! That's actually my rant. :p Fashion! I don't get it. I like to wear nice clothes, as much as one can when one has to cover it all up with kevlar anyway. I like to look pretty. I like to be stylish. But I would hate to be fashionable!

Fashion entirely panders to one body shape - the slender, willowy, 5'5" B-cup with no real curves. I think that is a beautiful shape, but I am beginning to get a little resentful. I'm 5'10" with a Marilyn Monroe hourglass. But NOTHING that has been "fashionable" in the past decade will work with that body type, and fashion is what clothing stores sell. Skinny jeans, peplum tops, baby doll/empire line anything, oversized sweaters, print tees, short skirts, anything that drapes...all the enemy of the hourglass. If I want clothes that don't conform to that, I have to head to stores that typically only cater for women in their forties. I'm 22 on Tuesday.

Sometimes I want to open a store called The Hourglass. None of you slender petite women allowed.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #16779 
ThePearlFish

Disclaimer in regards to the post that follows this disclaimer: I am NOT offended at all! I am completely joking with my "mock indignant attitude" in the following post, haha. (imagine me with my hands on hips and a mock look of scolding on my face :P) It is just hard to show teasing on the internet) I just can really relate to your post :)

Hey! I am five four and a half with almost similar size chest (not gonna say my size on an public forum, lol) and I have a curvy figure! Harumph!

Yea, sure I am not overweight by A LOT (maybe like 10 lb or under of extra fat that I gained recently on me that is hard to lose), but I have a HARD time with clothes every time I go shopping cus almost all my fat goes to my abdomen and hips/thighs and the way my body is shaped naturally. I have wide hips and too long legs, so it is hard to find jeans to compliment those two aspects of me. It is almost always one or the other I end up lacking in jeans.

Plus, then my butt is kind round and my jeans never stay up in the back, even with a belt. Or, my shirt rides up cus of the hips or extra 4-6 lbs of fat of my belly protruding that shows when I wear tighter shirts.

My enemies are also skinny jeans, baby doll tops (though empire line dresses often look good on me) Short skirts (when I gain weight) and draperies. The darn fashion people nowadays make it hard on us normal people, eh?? >:/

So, OF COURSE being a smaller sized female like me can have the exact same curve issues as a more shapely woman. Doesn't mean cus I am 5 ft something and size whatever bra size I am like a model or anything, cus my nose is way too big and they'd run screaming at it if I ever ended up strutting down the catwalk..:/

Hugs Bombalurina! I am sorry you have trouble with clothing too :(
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #16780 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Sparrrow, I hear you on the hourglass thing! That's actually my rant. :p Fashion! I don't get it. I like to wear nice clothes, as much as one can when one has to cover it all up with kevlar anyway. I like to look pretty. I like to be stylish. But I would hate to be fashionable!

Fashion entirely panders to one body shape - the slender, willowy, 5'5" B-cup with no real curves. I think that is a beautiful shape, but I am beginning to get a little resentful. I'm 5'10" with a Marilyn Monroe hourglass. But NOTHING that has been "fashionable" in the past decade will work with that body type, and fashion is what clothing stores sell. Skinny jeans, peplum tops, baby doll/empire line anything, oversized sweaters, print tees, short skirts, anything that drapes...all the enemy of the hourglass. If I want clothes that don't conform to that, I have to head to stores that typically only cater for women in their forties. I'm 22 on Tuesday.

Sometimes I want to open a store called The Hourglass. None of you slender petite women allowed.
I guess being big is a bit lucky in this way -- City Chic offers jeans tailored to suit hourglass shapes, but they start at either size 14 or 16, can't remember which... When I have the money, I'll definitely be buying some! So sick of having to use a belt to cinch in the waist of the "right" sized jeans. Since when was not having even a little badonkadonk a thing?

Ishka stock some lovely dresses that suit curves, though they're sometimes expensive, and if the hippie thing isn't your style, it's probably not for you.

Sigh, this is one of the reasons I love menswear over ladies clothes. It's just nice, simple, none of the bits and bobs that can be make-or-break for some shapes, heh. I'll take combat pants over a pair of ill-fitting "fashionable" trousers any day, hehe.

Tags
bettathanyou