Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #1 
CassieReannan

Help! Patchy scale loss on betta

I came home from work tonight to find my betta with a very very odd patch on his head that wasn't there when I left...

I made a recent thread about him being lethargic and put it down to the nitrogen cycle. Ever since I did a 50% water change he has perked up completely and now is (almost to) alert. He is eating as well. I did a 20% water change today. I have noticed over the past day or so that his scales on his head have turned metallic... and now some are falling off

Help, could this be something serious or did he just bump himself? I have has a new ornament in there for the past 2 days (its skull)

http://oi48.tinypic.com/28tc6fr.jpg
http://oi46.tinypic.com/2u8guu1.jpg
CassieReannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Its kind of hard to tell if they're missing from the pics. Are you sure they're missing & its not just that he may be changing color? What kind of decorations do you have? Could he be hitting or rubbing against something like a cave with a relatively small opening?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #3 
CassieReannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Its kind of hard to tell if they're missing from the pics. Are you sure they're missing & its not just that he may be changing color? What kind of decorations do you have? Could he be hitting or rubbing against something like a cave with a relatively small opening?
He's a red colour and underneath it is pink.. Almost like it's his "skin".. It wasn't there this afternoon and when I came home tonight it was there.. Leads me to believe he scraped it.. But I'm not sure
Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #4 
CassieReannan

It's down his back as well a little, it's not metallic like his other scales on his head.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Its possible there's a hole or something that's slightly too small for him but he's still going through it or maybe he went too quickly through it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #6 
CassieReannan

Yeah might've been the skull, it has holes everywhere in it and I have seen him hide in there a few times.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #7 
callistra

If that's the case, it needs to be removed.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote