Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #4621 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chard56 View Post
My Bettas flare at each other all day every day. It's good exercise for them and I see no proof of any harm to them because of it.
Good, I was wondering about this. They've only been in their new tank for a few days so I hope the flaring with lessen with time.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #4622 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Good, I was wondering about this. They've only been in their new tank for a few days so I hope the flaring with lessen with time.
It should definitely lessen. I keep my males in divided tanks too and after the first few days they would only flare at each other when the lights came on an went off
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #4623 
Chard56

That to me is the main reason for carding my Bettas for showing purposes. Placing a piece of paper or card between them so they can't see each other makes them Flare when you do remove it. Other wise seeing another Betta and flaring at it all day they might get bored by the time the judge comes around and be off in the corner yawning and looking for something to eat.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #4624 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
My Bettas flare at each other all day every day. It's good exercise for them and I see no proof of any harm to them because of it.
Flaring that much can cause fins to tear, stress. Too much stress can open a fish up to diseases and illnesses.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #4625 
FishyFishy89

Mysterious Fin Tears
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #4626 
Chard56

Mysterious fin tears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Really? Just because you read one persons account your going to take that as scientific evidence. How many Bettas have you had? I have spawned, raised and sold thousands of Bettas and have always kept them next to each other so they can flare all day if they want to. If you want to put a divider or separate them that's your misconception.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #4627 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Really? Just because you read one persons account your going to take that as scientific evidence. How many Bettas have you had? I have spawned, raised and sold thousands of Bettas and have always kept them next to each other so they can flare all day if they want to. If you want to put a divider or separate them that's your misconception.
Actually no, that was the only thread I could find. There was quite a few when i joined, I'm not sure where they went.
I myself, have experienced a betta stressed out and suffering from fin tears because he flared at his neighbor too much.

And good for you to be spawning so many bettas. Why not go help the ones in stores find homes instead of leaving them in stores to slowly die at the hands of ignorant employees.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #4628 
logisticsguy

I agree with chard on the subject of flaring. I have never seen any damage and its good exercise for them. My fish see each other almost all the time and I feel its how they communicate and relate to each other via different forms of flaring. Ive seen them dance, shimy and show off to each other. In fact if they are in isolation for a long time betta can actually act depressed and sullen. jmho.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #4629 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post

And good for you to be spawning so many bettas. Why not go help the ones in stores find homes instead of leaving them in stores to slowly die at the hands of ignorant employees.
While I agree many stores do a rotten job of looking after betta, I wish more people would buy directly from breeders like him (or me). If anyone buys a fish from a store the betta will quickly be replaced by another. Many breeders try to educate store employees on proper care and nothing bothers me more than seeing the poor things dead or dying of disease and ammonia. Also it may well be dangerous for a breeder to bring home a pet store betta due to the possibility of disease spreading and killing all the breeders betta. I wish more people bought directly from responsible breeders as you would likely get a higher quality of fish and less likely to end up with a sick fish as well.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 03-01-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #4630 
logisticsguy

Tags
arteries;), betta pics!, glory werz here!:b, wonderful bettas