Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #1 
kyle89

new owner question's

My girlfriend wanted a betta fish so off to that fish place i went. I bought her a minibowl 1 that has a small filter. I picked up a slim heater (yes i have read mixed reviews an am gonna look into a adjustable heater) an home i went. The next day we went to PETCO an she picked a crowntail betta an java fern. Went home and slowly acclimated him to the tank. Than the next day we began running the filter. The current wasnt bad but he swims around the inlet tube an his fins (a small amount) get sucked in. I am gonna get a pre filter fot the inlet tube. My question is dose this tank need a filter?
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #2 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
My girlfriend wanted a betta fish so off to that fish place i went. I bought her a minibowl 1 that has a small filter. I picked up a slim heater (yes i have read mixed reviews an am gonna look into a adjustable heater) an home i went. The next day we went to PETCO an she picked a crowntail betta an java fern. Went home and slowly acclimated him to the tank. Than the next day we began running the filter. The current wasnt bad but he swims around the inlet tube an his fins (a small amount) get sucked in. I am gonna get a pre filter fot the inlet tube. My question is dose this tank need a filter?
If it is a 2.5g Aqueon MBT, then the filter kind of works but I'd say take it out so you have more space and put in several bunches of anacharis which is ammonia busters. They can be floaters or can be planted. My betta hides underneath it and sometime rest on it (mid-tank level). In the long run, the plants pay for those expensive filter replacement pads.

Ditto for 1g IMO.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #3 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
If it is a 2.5g Aqueon MBT, then the filter kind of works but I'd say take it out so you have more space and put in several bunches of anacharis which is ammonia busters. They can be floaters or can be planted. My betta hides underneath it and sometime rest on it (mid-tank level). In the long run, the plants pay for those expensive filter replacement pads.

Ditto for 1g IMO.
+1

I have to agree to take out the filter. If it's bothering him, it might end up shredding his fins, which no one wants that! D:
Just be sure to keep up with the water changes and you should be fine. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #4 
kevinbacon

I have the five gallon tank version of yours; another alternative to decrease the power of the intake is to buy a square of aquarium sponge and stuff it into the intake tunnel (just make sure it doesn't stick out and interfere with the motor). You'll have to replace it every month or so (I've found you can get about 20 little sections out of every Fluval brand sponge), but it does wonders to keep your fish from shredding his fins.
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

If you want to use the filter you can get a sponge that goes over it I believe you would have to check at your petshop for one. You dont need the filter really but you will need to keep up with water changes.

Here is a water change guide

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....+change+thread
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #6 
waterdog

One gallons don't really benefit from filters. Change the water twice a week and you should be fine.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #7 
kyle89

Thats what i planned on doing. The filter doesn't take up alot of space an it provides a little shady spot for him too
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote