Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #1 
Hadoken Kitty

Under gravel filter

I set up my under gravel filter a couple of days ago but totally forgot an air pump. So it's been sitting in the tank for about two days since I've been snowed in. I went to get the pump today and set it up. Huzaah it works! Except it bubbles....is it supposed to bubble a lot? Is this normal?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #2 
waterdog

Bubbles are what makes them work. I use the term 'work' loosely as under gravel filters are really the least effecient way of filtering a tank.
What size tank do you have?
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #3 
tekkguy

My daughter's new tank came with an undergravel filter. I tossed it into a box and put in something that works (Hagen Mini Elite). The air pump would be better used as a sponge filter, and you can use the uplift tube from the undergravel filter as part of the sponge filter. All you need is a sponge.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Yes they do bubble a lot. Fine mist bubble stones can be used to take down some of the movement if it causes too much in your tank.

I use an undergravel filter with my usual power filter. I never use it alone. People that do that then complain, drive me crazy.

Power filters are great, until you reach the gravel. Sure vaccuming your gravel and/or keeping plants help. But if you don't have plants, there's always that little bit you miss while vaccuming.

Call me paranoid, but I like clean gravel and the ugf helps. Of course it won't work for the entire tank and there. Its undergravel filtration, its not designed for full tank filtration which seems to be what its thought to do.

It beats nothing if you have nothing else, but its really just for your gravel. Its not for filtering all the water in your tank.

Last edited by Kuronue; 03-01-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #5 
tekkguy

The real issue with a UGF is the debris buildup under the gravel. Yeah, they'll pull your water through the gravel, kinda, and bacteria live in the gravel, kinda. But they also collect nastiness ... and no amount of vacuuming, even with an elbow connector or something at the bottom of the tube, is going to get that out. So I guess if you like trying to hold a cycle while constantly having to get under your gravel, go for it.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #6 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
I manage it just fine actually.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote