Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #1 
LissaLooHoo

Lace Rock? Opinions PLEASE!!

Hello my fellow fishy fanatics(: I currently have a 36 gallon bowfront, with 4 bettas, 1 Cory who thinks he's a betta, 3 separate specie Cory's I inherited from someone who didnt know how to care for them, and along with them came a loach. I also have a rubber lip, and sailfin spotted pleco. I'm trying to go natural, and very cool looking. I've recently stumbled across some pretty nice lace rock, not full limestone and I've done the vinegar test, and all that. Now here's my question. Do any of you have a tank with Lace Rock? Any negative experiences? Anything I should look out for? I plan to cover the lace rock in java moss to prevent scrapes, and what not, basically a hideout for my loaches, and pleco at anytime. And plant the tank. I have bamboo in there now. And recently purchased a few bundles of standard stranded aquarium plants. Can't remember the name. But if anyone could throw some opinions or suggestions my way it would be well appreciated!!!
LissaLooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #2 
KnzD

Never used them but since lace rock is very porous due to all the holes I suggest you clean them real well before you use them in your tank. It seems to be the advice that most people give as lace rocks are used quite a bit in saltwater tanks for coral and such.
KnzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #3 
LissaLooHoo

They're currently soaking in hot water. And I've heard too. This particular lace rock is deanimate and will no come back to life. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has had experiences with it. The couple who I bought it from has 20+ fish tanks in their house all freshwater and they have some pretty impressive setups.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I don't know squat about lace rock, but I know that every species of cory needs to be in a group of at least 4.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #5 
LissaLooHoo

I realize that. The tank I have now is just freshly established and I would prefer to get it balanced out before I go on to add more.they were not mine in the first place, and I fully intend on keeping them in an arranged school once my tank levels permit me to.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #6 
syds mom

I use it in cichlid tanks, also tried it in 1 betta tank along time ago. My experience was it snagged my bettas fin and tore it. The only way I would ever use it again would be to sand it down really good.
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #7 
Jerry Davis

Beta fishbowls,habitats,etc

I use tumbled inexpensive gemstones, and an aquarium safe glue to make my own decor for my betas. Jerry Davis
Attached Images

Jerry Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #8 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Davis View Post
I use tumbled inexpensive gemstones, and an aquarium safe glue to make my own decor for my betas. Jerry Davis
cool, what did you use to glue it together?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #9 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LissaLooHoo View Post
Hello my fellow fishy fanatics(: I currently have a 36 gallon bowfront, with 4 bettas, 1 Cory who thinks he's a betta, 3 separate specie Cory's I inherited from someone who didnt know how to care for them, and along with them came a loach. I also have a rubber lip, and sailfin spotted pleco. I'm trying to go natural, and very cool looking. I've recently stumbled across some pretty nice lace rock, not full limestone and I've done the vinegar test, and all that. Now here's my question. Do any of you have a tank with Lace Rock? Any negative experiences? Anything I should look out for? I plan to cover the lace rock in java moss to prevent scrapes, and what not, basically a hideout for my loaches, and pleco at anytime. And plant the tank. I have bamboo in there now. And recently purchased a few bundles of standard stranded aquarium plants. Can't remember the name. But if anyone could throw some opinions or suggestions my way it would be well appreciated!!!
I googled the image of lace roack and check it out at PetSmart, I felt that they were too rough on the hand and I noticed they chip or grains fall off from my gentle touching as in running my palm over it. So I decide not to use it for my AQ. The one I was referring to was terracota color with lots of holes and felt like the pumice stone that you use for softening the hard dry skin on the sole/ball of the foot.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #10 
Jerry Davis

I just used an aquarium safe silicone, and my hands. Glad you think this is "cool" Jerry Davis
Jerry Davis is offline   Reply With Quote