Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #651 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Wow? What is your pH? It would have to be pretty low already to worry about the IAL decreasing it further. I believe most plants (or at least beginner plants) prefer pH of 6.5-7.5 but some like it lower and bettas in general prefer low pH. Snails, on the other hand, do better in more alkaline water. I believe it hardens their shells.

I personally have never worried too much about pH and hardness because I prefer to leave it alone instead of messing with it. I still don't know about housing a male and female... But if your Thai fish has long fins, its probably best to keep him away from the filter.
i have 7.6 straight tap water. its high in sediments, it caked up the humidifier heating coils within 2 weeks of near constant runnng. my cts get 1.6l of 0ppm water to soften it a bit and 600ml ial water (had issues b4 with wandering ph levels bc i didnt control the amount of ial water). the anacharis from 1yr back just bogged down and melted in low ph water and diminished light. funny enough the "root food" plant has been the only plant that didnt die on me. i have a green thumb for terestrial pants but a brown one for aquatic ones o.O.

the vt also has long fins and constantly gets torn up every few weeks (or months) but its a bit better lately. i rarely use aq salt for him for fear it'll damage the organs, he'll blow his tail easily. it even happened without a filter in the tank. he blows it and "trims" it down. when its growing back, he resets the damage .

i searched more on the M-F divided threads here and OFL and other senior members said either inaccesiblity and/or obscurity will turn out just fine gievn the 2 temperments. it does give me hope as both DeT and VT are mellow, more like the VT goes crazy for a few days then ignores. Osiris (past 5g occupant)and Halloween (current 5g occupant) dont care if theres another betta on the other side.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #652 
LittleBettaFish

You can house a male/female in a divided tank. I used to do it all the time.

Never ran into any issues and if a divider failed usually the worst that would happen was I would find a few nips taken out of the female's tail.

There is some initial flirting at first, but this usually dies down once they both settle in and realise they can't get to each other.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #653 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
You can house a male/female in a divided tank. I used to do it all the time.

Never ran into any issues and if a divider failed usually the worst that would happen was I would find a few nips taken out of the female's tail.

There is some initial flirting at first, but this usually dies down once they both settle in and realise they can't get to each other.
ty very much for reassuring me. my divider is solid. to put it more accurately, my fish never tried anything funny yet. its siliconed to the sides and a 4 inch (2inch each side) overhang incase one decides to jump. if my VT has waht i think he does, then its going to be a few months to a year. that aside i now know i can get a female betta some housing to replace which ever current fish goes.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #654 
Sagat

It's official, thanks to this thread, I'm now the proud owner of a sorority of dragons that I got from Chard56.

Here's a quick video of them in their QT tank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWx3_...ature=youtu.be

Now that I have my own sorority, what's the best way to make sure that they all get their fair share of food? I've been hand feeding each of them, to make sure they get relatively the same amount of food, but I think I'm creating a dominance situation by getting all together at feeding time, since one of my snow dragons starts getting a little aggressive and chases her sisters away. Also, should I be feeding them all in separate areas of the tank to help reduce this?
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #655 
Bombalurina

I'm getting my new sorority from Jodi-Lea this week and I'm very excited. :) However, in the past I've always bought locally from petshops and they've put all the girls in one bag, and I've just done normal acclimatisation.

Since these ladies are being shipped from Queensland (1200km by road), should I use drip acclimatisation? How can I do that for 6 girls?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #656 
LittleBettaFish

Bombalurina, I will make a confession and say I have never acclimatised any of the fish I get delivered from Jodi-Lea (naughty I know). Not even my wild-caught wild bettas.

I just float their bags for ten or so minutes and then dump them in.

Never lost a single fish from doing it this way.

I think it's also a lot further from QLD to Melbourne and even during winter they have been fine.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #657 
Bombalurina

Thanks, LBF, that's a weight off my mind. :) Payment has been transferred and they will be shipped tomorrow! I will post lots of photos.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #658 
ashleigheperry

Do any of you have recommendations on where to purchase sororities in the US? I'd like to get them all from the same place if possible. Wonderful groups, everyone!
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #659 
Sagat

I trolled the classifieds forum here and on Aquabid for a long time. We've got lots of really awesome breeders here and if you're patient, you'll eventually find what you want.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #660 
AyalaCookiejar

If you look at Sagats last post, those females are dragons from Chard56 on here. I know he sells females in bulk for cheap prices, discounts for forum members (I'm not really sure if I should be posting that in this section - sorry.)

I have ordered females from him and Mo, but Mo isn't breeding again until summer I believe. There are many breeders in the classified sections but some will give you better bulk prices than others depending on stock. Chard has a lot of dragon girls now that I believe he's trying to get rid of, but he also told me he has like 400ish females in 4 different sororities.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote