Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #1 
charminglyxdream

Question Help! Dying Betta Fish?

Hello everyone,

So on Wednesday I bought a betta fish from Petsmart. He was originally in the small little cup that they keep him in but when I brought him home, I put him in a 2 gallon tank. I used purified drinking water (the gallons that you buy from the store) for water in his tank.
He has not ate anything since I got him, I have tried giving him pellets, flakes and blood worms. Didn't eat one bite of it so I took it all out. Then I figured he was picky so I just left some blood worms in there overnight and he still didn't eat any of them.
He is very lethargic at times, sometimes he will be swimming perfectly fine then go into the corner of the tank and just flop over almost like he is dying. He will sit in the corner and do that for awhile!

His tank is room temperature at 76F (I don't keep it heated, I just check the temp daily) I don't use a filter since his water is already purified and I will change the water biweekly.

He is in the tank by himself and he also has a little cave he is able to hide in. I keep a light on from morning to after dinner time plus he already has daylight from the kitchen windows.

He doesn't have any white patches, no ripped looking fins, and no red gills, just the red color that he is supposed to be!

Help! I have no clue what is wrong with him and I have done everything possible that I know of. I've had 2 bettas in the past and they both lived for 7 years and have never acted like this so I have no clue what is wrong with him...
charminglyxdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #2 
kyasarin5

Sounds like stress to me. I would add some water conditioner anyway at dose per instructions on label just to help with his slime coat. When bettas are stressed they usually will not eat. I would leave tank light off for a few days and just put him in a dimly lit room to reduce his stress level. Could be a ph difference in the water he was in and the water he is now that could also be stressor. He will acclimate so I wouldn't go try to mess with pH, that would only stress him further. Did you be sure that cup water temp and tank water temp were within 2 degrees of same temperature? More than 2 degrees can put them into shock.
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #3 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by charminglyxdream View Post
Hello everyone,

So on Wednesday I bought a betta fish from Petsmart. He was originally in the small little cup that they keep him in but when I brought him home, I put him in a 2 gallon tank. I used purified drinking water (the gallons that you buy from the store) for water in his tank.
He has not ate anything since I got him, I have tried giving him pellets, flakes and blood worms. Didn't eat one bite of it so I took it all out. Then I figured he was picky so I just left some blood worms in there overnight and he still didn't eat any of them.
He is very lethargic at times, sometimes he will be swimming perfectly fine then go into the corner of the tank and just flop over almost like he is dying. He will sit in the corner and do that for awhile!

His tank is room temperature at 76F (I don't keep it heated, I just check the temp daily) I don't use a filter since his water is already purified and I will change the water biweekly.

He is in the tank by himself and he also has a little cave he is able to hide in. I keep a light on from morning to after dinner time plus he already has daylight from the kitchen windows.

He doesn't have any white patches, no ripped looking fins, and no red gills, just the red color that he is supposed to be!

Help! I have no clue what is wrong with him and I have done everything possible that I know of. I've had 2 bettas in the past and they both lived for 7 years and have never acted like this so I have no clue what is wrong with him...
try putting some water conditioner in there to dechlorinate the water.
fast him for 2 days and feed again.
change 50% water, treated with conditioner, every other day.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #4 
charminglyxdream

The water of the tank was the same temperature as the water in the cup. What type of water conditioner is best?

thank you so much for all your guys help! :)
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #5 
knobby

Is there any chance that he is just resting? Bettas like to rest on plants and at the bottom of aquariums. At least all the bettas I have had do. I remember when I first had a betta fish, when I got up in the morning I found him in his aquarium lying tilted sort of on his side and it really freaked me out. I realized though he was fine and was just resting there.

Does he react when you tap on the tank?
knobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #6 
knobby

Also, bettas are more lethargic in cooler water. Do you have a heater in your tank?
knobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #7 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
I'd switch him over to dechlorinated tap water. The purified water they sell is frequently missing micro-nutrients important to your betta's health (The processing removes them).

Also, the water will not stay purified once you have something living in it and its exposed to air. Fish excrete waste which in general has a bit of ammonia to it that will eventually break down into nitrites and nitrates. OldFishLady has a great guide to a good water change system and you'll likely save a little money on you water changes with a good water conditioner (seachems prime is considered awesome by many fish owner here)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

Your water is just a touch chilly for bettas as they like 78-82. Their tiny, those 2 degrees can make the difference in their health.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

How did you acclimate him to the new tank? (Process, time, etc.) The water conditions in his cup may have been quite different from the water in your tank. So the initial acclimation process (when you first bring him home) should be slow, in order to allow him time to adjust to your water.

New bettas may not eat for awhile, while they adjust to their new tanks. They can go awhile without eating, so give him a couple of days to get settled in.

Is there a reason you don't use tap water (with added conditioner)? It's cheaper than buying bottled water, and as Kuronue mentioned, tap water contains dissolved salts which are beneficial to the fish's health.

A 2 gallon tank with no filter needs one 100% and one 50% water change per week. Also, water conditioner should always be added to new water. There are a lot of different brands, all of which are good. Look for one that removes/neutralizes chlorine, chlorinamines and heavy metals.... If you need one to temporarily neutralize ammonia, look for one like Prime..... You don't need to readd water conditioner to existing water. Only add it to new water that is being introduced into the tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #9 
charminglyxdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post
Is there any chance that he is just resting? Bettas like to rest on plants and at the bottom of aquariums. At least all the bettas I have had do. I remember when I first had a betta fish, when I got up in the morning I found him in his aquarium lying tilted sort of on his side and it really freaked me out. I realized though he was fine and was just resting there.

Does he react when you tap on the tank?
Sometimes he will react when I tap on the glass. But not all the time.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #10 
charminglyxdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuronue View Post
I'd switch him over to dechlorinated tap water. The purified water they sell is frequently missing micro-nutrients important to your betta's health (The processing removes them).

Also, the water will not stay purified once you have something living in it and its exposed to air. Fish excrete waste which in general has a bit of ammonia to it that will eventually break down into nitrites and nitrates. OldFishLady has a great guide to a good water change system and you'll likely save a little money on you water changes with a good water conditioner (seachems prime is considered awesome by many fish owner here)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

Your water is just a touch chilly for bettas as they like 78-82. Their tiny, those 2 degrees can make the difference in their health.
Thank you! :) I will look at buying a heater for his tank then! Ill also look into getting that water conditioner. Thank you very much.

Tags
care help, dying betta, questions